Yachtmaster

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Well i crewed on me mates YM practical. I am really glad of the experience.
Scotland
No tide to speak of
Very little wind

I could have passed with a little bit of boning up on the practical.
One simulated engine failure. A couple of last minute changes in plan. one pontoon bash each and one sailing off the mooring.
The simulated fog was not what i expected. From just one bouy to another but under engine as no wind. To be fair one guy had me so close he shouted stop about 5 yards after i had swung around it, and i am not sure i could have done that.

In the event that the conditions made most manoevres pointless I also expected a constant grilling from the Examiner of the candidates on colregs etc. he asked four col regs questions ALL of which i could answer ( thanks Jim)
A bit of weather a bit of lights and bells and bongs.
I will do my YM asap. but have decided on the solent as feel it is more challenging cos there is more tide, lights and traffic to play with.

I am just upset i have not the time to try this year.

in fariness examiner did point out that YMs comes in many guises. Both candidates passed but he pointed out they are YMs with v little experience and can really only regard themselves as being on the start of learning all the tricks.basically said they need to get to the point where what to do is second nature rather than the result of having spent the last fortnight doing nothing but training. partic for strong tidal waters.

oh and we bought a little open run around for anglesey. but it has 70 hp on the back as the other boat needs serious work before it can go back. So i have to to do a power boat course too now.

Soo i had a brill time. sunshine all the week, bar monday afternoon for the precise time i was speeding around at 30 knots in Rhiosneigr bay on the new boat.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Scotland - No Tide?

only around the Clyde and Small isles.. suggest you try sailing against the tide in the Pentland Firth.. I would advise using Kingfisher I and ensure you are sailing down wind.. ;)

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site

I was impressed to find that there is an active yacht club in Scrabster, just next to Pentland Firth.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.radit.org.uk/pfyc/>Pentland Firth Yacht Club</A>

You have to admire their bottle to go sailing there, in what must be the most dangerous waters in the UK.

Anyone know of a more unlikely place for a yacht club?

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

Starspinner

Visit site

Not a yacht club, but there is a lighthouse in Derbyshire at Crich. There have been no reports of ships hitting it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site

Small but enthusiastic .. they even have a raft race across Thurso Bay!!!

The Pentland Firth on a good day is v pleasent.. you often see whales and other wildlife. Suprisingly there are more "good" days than you might think..

It's a very dramatic coastline and quite beautiful.. I love it... it feels like real sailing with the Atlantic swell etc and also the complete lack of PWVs ;)

ooohh dear and there goes my keep the boating hoards away from Scotland...grrr

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Pentland Firth YC

Small but enthusiastic .. they even have a raft race across Thurso Bay !!!

The Pentland Firth on a good day is v pleasant.. you often see whales and other wildlife. Suprisingly there are more "good" days than you might think..

It's a very dramatic coastline and quite beautiful.. I love it... it feels like real sailing with the Atlantic swell etc and also the complete lack of PWVs ;)

ooohh dear and there goes my keep the boating hoards away from Scotland...grrr

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
bit depressing really for those who have done the ym practical and been put through the mill.

if there was not enough wind to sail effectively, the exam should have been called off

<hr width=100% size=1>