Yachtmaster

jimi

Visit site
I'm thinking about doing my yachtmaster early next year. What do you reckon

Own boat or sailing school?
Solent or Scotland?

G

Go to London Boat show in January. Sailing schools will be discounting unsold courses before easter. Specifically state you want to take the yachmasters.
If it is a while since you did the theory it can be worth taking a combined theory and practical course. Despite having passed the theory paper before the examiner will still test the theory again whilst your crew make lunch ;-)

S

Skyva_2

If you are ready for the exam - own boat, local waters. Local knowledge helps a lot.

If you need some practice to ferry glide in astern, blind pilotage, etc, a school prep week would be useful, and provides a crew who are also ready for the exam. Sharing the exam is a help. Get a crew with good eyesight. If you need a crew send a PM.

Regards,
Keith

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I wondered about this, and did it in a school boat far away from home instead of mine. The reasons for this were...

Most people (like me) take the exam for their own personal reasons, not because they need the qualification, so are not driven to pass the exam in the easiest quickest way possible. When I originally did the college course years ago, the instructor suggested that when we took the exam, if we could pass it in non-familiar waters in a boat we were not used to with a crew of strangers, then we would be more confident in ourselves to be able to step on any other boat and be an effective skipper. That is what a yachtmaster should be able to do.

That reason sounds all very good and principled, but probably for me what was equally as important is that schools run 5 day refresher courses with the exam arranged for the weekend. It's very easy, you just pay your money and turn up with your wellies, boat guaranteed, crew guaranteed, examiner guaranteed.

Although no doubt is was harder with everything unfamilar, in retrospect I was glad that I did it that way.

I

Iota

Solent height of springs in a good blow on a strange boat. That way when you pass you know that you really do meet the criteria...Refresher course to be recommended... But it all depends why you want to do it ...the easy way is own boat benign conditions at neaps with crew you know.

Courtesy is an iota but makes the world go round

jimi

Visit site
Really want to do it for several reasons:

1) Learn & test skills thoroughly
2) Have a week's challenging sailing
3) Have a enjoyable week's holiday

I am based in the Solent so I thought a week in unfamiliar waters would be a change of scene and more of a challenge navigationally.

Another option would be to get an instructor for a few days, sail off to the channel isles (which I do'nt know) and have a few days instruction there, sail back to the Solent & do the exam there, what do you think?

Cornishman

Visit site
All the comments so far have things to recommend them, but don't underestimate the powers of the examiner. Wherever you do it, and in whatever boat you do it in, he/she is experienced enough to find out if you are competent or not. E.G. a 'helpful' crew can be as helpful to the examiner as they can be to the candidate, and will often enjoy the fun of helping to put you through your paces.

I

Iota

Solent is good because its is testing in terms of tide and the opportunities for grounding!!! Channel Islands also meets that criteria but less on the grounding. You second option sounds good. Make you you have the evidence of the pre-requisite number of sea mile etc with you and be prepared to discuss with the examiner, I was asked three or four questions on my mileage prior to the exam. It will be very tiring but I can still, just, remember the feeling of being very tired and very elated after the debrief and the magical words the certificate will be posted to you. go for it and enjoy.

Badger

Visit site
Licensed to Kill

I think you would be making it really tough on yourself if you went to starnge waters. I agree that doing the 1 weeks preparation with a school before the exam is essential. Funnily enough I had HW springs F6/7 in the Solent which if anything made it easier for the sailing tests like MOB, mooring buoy pick up's etc

I can recommend BOSS in Hamble. By the way my examiner broke this news to me with "Right, you are now licensed to kill" It's a bit like passing your driving test really, it's a good foundation to go and then learn how to skipper any boat.

Enjoy yourself !

tome

www.google.co.uk
I did it in the Solent with a sailing school. We spent a lively 5 days in April doing lots of sail changes, night sailing, mooring and man overboard under sail etc as well as blind navigation. It was a good refresher course and I learned a few neat tricks.

Eg, for years I've been reefing by coming into the wind, but the technique of keeping the boat sailing and dumping the mainsheet to reef was great (even if it seems so obvious now). I was glad of this Saturday morning mid channel when the wind piped up to gusts of 40+ knots and I was able to reef her down without the jib flapping around my ears.

The instructor left the boat Friday evening and was replaced by the examiner. He put us through our paces, setting various exercises such as one of the crew being ill and an ambulance waiting at XX - get her there at max speed. He put us under considerable pressure by questioning our judgements and generally instilling self-doubt, but I realised eventually that he was just trying to see how we'd cope under pressure. I suspect that this is the most important aspect of the exam - Cornishman would know this as he's an examiner.

I don't think it really makes much difference whether you do it in familiar waters or not. It was 20 years since I'd done the shorebased, but as my wife was doing her Day skipper theory at the time I had to brush up to help her with her homework and this served as a useful refresher.

Anyway, the week was great (cold & tiring also) and certainly met your 3 criteria.

I wan't unduly worried about possessing the certificate, but it was a proud moment nonetheless when he told me I'd passed. Curiously, I've been more meticulous about passage planning and safety since on the basis that I feel I have to uphold a standard.

Since I'd done the Ocean shorebased and qualifying passages I went on to do the YM Ocean which was a doddle and took place at the examiners kitchen table over a cup of coffee.

Go for it - I'm sure you'll enjoy it even if you only realise this afterwards.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Reefing

>Eg, for years I've been reefing by coming into the wind, but the technique of keeping the boat sailing and dumping the mainsheet to reef was great (even if it seems so obvious now). I was glad of this Saturday morning mid channel when the wind piped up to gusts of 40+ knots and I was able to reef her down without the jib flapping around my ears.<

That's the racing way of doing it. The cruising version is to heave to, which makes it a very calm and controlled business.

I

Iota

Re: Reefing

ah but how many people know how to heave to or bother to, nice way to have lunch when it is not busy out there.

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
You need to be "as one" with the boat, particularly the way she handles and manouvres. That argues your boat or a boat you have just spent a good few days getting to know.

I dont think the location for the exam matters that much although Id be wary of doing the exam in water that you know well, since you will be at risk of taking shortcuts. Some shortcuts are good seamanship - others can look dangerous and may tip the balance against you.

Channel Islands are interesting sailing - you can do the exam from St Peter Port. So is Scotland, the West Country etc etc. Happen I did mine on the Blackwater on the East Coast in depths of 5 metres or less. Having cut my teeth on the depths south coast, my examiner was most amused how twitchy I became with only a metre or two under the keel.

qsiv

Visit site
Even the pro's get it wrong in the Solent. I had a little smile to myself as Dennis Connor ran his boat (Extra Beat) hard aground on Lepe Spit durin the AC 150 celebrations. Mind you - he wasnt alone plenty of others managed similar feats during the week

I

Iota

Re: Heaving to

Moderate and heavy displacement OK lighter displacement takes a little more seting.