Yachting World understands sailing. Yeah, right.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Page 67/68 current issue.

"0300, somewhere in the Atlantic...We're pounding upwind, steeply heeled...I try to slip straight into my oliskin trousers...A sodden mass of unyielding sailcloth is being hauled down the companionway as I struggle up it...Coming onto deck there are unidentiable bodies..."Have fun", shouts Ali, as I relieve him on the massively loaded spinnaker sheet."

Pounding upwind? Massively loaded spinnaker sheet?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

robp

Visit site
The guy on the sheet is trying to stop the spinny going down the companionway!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Of course ..Wind is a dutch maiden surely?

<hr width=100% size=1>.. whit way roon should it be again ..

MikeKopman

Visit site
Re: Yachting World understands sailing. Yeah, righ

Hello Ken,
Well spotted! I could have claimed that actually we were tight reaching under a Code 0 at the time, but actually you are right, it is a mistake. My opening paragraph is a composite description of my experience of sailing Spirit, and in trying to convey the drama and excitement of sailing these boats perhaps I got a little carried away with my use of 'poetic licence'.
But to imply that Yachting World doesn't understand sailing is a little unfair. Fortunately, even after many thousands of miles and several trans Atlantic races, I am not immune to being 'wowed' by some great sailing on a great boat. It is this enthusiasm, shared by the editorial team, that makes the magazine what it is.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of the article.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

Visit site
Gotcha!

Gotcha!

Yeah, enjoyed the article. Just wondered whatever happened to the concept of the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers! Sounds more like a fully crewed Azores-Carib race for headbangers "at all times unwashed, uncomfortable, hungry and tired". That'll be ripstop- curtained-off headbangers naturally!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

MikeKopman

Visit site
Re: Gotcha!

Yes, Spirit wasn't exactly your typical ARC entry! But then again the WCC decided to split the fleet into racing and cruising divisions some years back to accomodate boats just like her. Cruising boats still dominate the event, in fact there were only a handful of 'all out' racing boats. I don't think the ARC will ever lose touch with its roots (routes?) and there are even rumours about the RAC becoming the racing alternative, putting the C back into ARC.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site
Re: Yachting World understands sailing. Yeah, righ

I agree, Yachting World does understand the basics of Yachting but they are nearly always 4- 6 weeks late with the news and the stuff they do produce is coffee table material normally. Seahorse International however is the biz if you want current, in-depth, technical news on yachting. Yachting World always has nice photos.

<hr width=100% size=1>Visit my discount online chandlery and news site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtinguniverse.com>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com</A>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Don't laugh at the code 0. Ken and I asked lots of questions about code 0 at the boat show and we did establish 1) it exists 2) it's jolly smart 3) It will help point you where the wind is coming from. in light airs The last is yet to be established by experiment.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
About Turn

When embarking on nit picking ventures I feel it would be better when you've stuck the knife in and drawn blood - to go for the jugular. This response is hardly worthy of you and personally I have to say that I myself are, at this moment in time - disappointed. What would have been wrong with - "Well, Coughman - stuffed you there didn't we - enough of your poetic nonsense - you're dealing with experts here - just because the majority of YW readers are 90 odd year old multimillionaires, don't think you can .........etc etc?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Twister_Ken

Visit site
\'umble apologies (tugs forelock) (makes a change)

You're right. I'm sorry.

But you must realise that my boat is named after a jolly nice colour, not some fearsome war-fighting hairy-arse-and-no-knickers red-in-tooth-and-claw weapon, like yours.

Besides which, I know how hurtful it can be for writer to be told that his article was a pile of poo.

claymore

Visit site
Re: \'umble apologies (tugs forelock) (makes a change)

Well - I thought yours was the most informative story of human courage, derring doo on the high seas and technically accurate account of anything I've ever read in any magazine - including Robin, the Eagle and the Peoples Friend - ever

Claymore

Sybarite

Visit site

<<technically accurate account of anything I've ever read in any magazine >>

Rubbish. I did not come to Cherbourg by train; I came by car.

Indignant of Lorient

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site

Should that not be 'went' if we are trying to retain some technical correctness?

Claymore

Sybarite

Visit site

"How absolute the knave is! we must speak by the card or equivocation will undo us.."

I placed myself in the position of the narrator who, I believe, said (but I haven't got the article to hand) that the Irishman came to join us in Cherbourg by train.

I therefore replied in the same ilk. If, in fact, he didn't say this you are absolutely right.

John

PS (The Irish can also be diplomatic.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Absolutely! Key sail and I wouldnt want to be without it. A true Zero is a tetchy cuss to trim, the cruisier derivatives (that dont need to observe the letter of the rule to make it rate as a spinnaker), are just as efficient, and much more forgiving.

The current boat has a Code 0, that enables you to sail when others motor, and the new boat has one ordered.

<hr width=100% size=1>