Yacht run aground by auto pilot no persons aboard

tillergirl

Visit site
Distinct lack of detailed info but I'm going over to Bradwell to fill up with diesel this morning so I should get the scuttlebutt from the launchmen. I seem to recall hearing the helicopter quite early yesterday afternoon.

tillergirl

Visit site
Yes, that's what I was thinking. The reference to poor weather seems a bit odd. I know I was only in the garden yesterday but there didn't seem to be any wind to speak of all day. Did get a bit dark a couple of times and look threatenign though. A well written log is quite unusual - or is it?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A well written log is quite unusual - or is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do try when on passage to make a record every hour or so and at key turns etc so should I need to I can retrace my route and record engine hours so I know when to change the oil.

But then there are other days when the log shows Time - Slipped and then Time - Alongside! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Auntie Helen

Visit site
I saw a newspaper at the petrol station earlier which I thought was discussing this story (it was a local Colchester paper) but instead reported the death of a Colchester sailor in an accident with another boat at some event in France. Dangerous hobby, this.

MoodySabre

Visit site
The chap in France was Wilfrid Tolhurst, a well known and respected solicitor from a dynasty of solicitors going back generations in Southend. His brother Philip is still in practice. Very sad do. I met him some years ago in a professional capacity.

Several articles in the news section here.

tillergirl

Visit site
All pretty sad. It spoilt the day for the yacht that found him as did the helicopter search and the lifeboat working its way back down the Blackwater backwards and forwards for all of us this morning/afternoon. Kind of reminds you of your mortality. Sad to think of him drifting with the tide last night backwards and forwards whilst we sat here probably less than a mile away.

But I'm glad for the family that he's found. Pretty awful if he had never been found. Raised the old LJ debate on the launch back to shore.

Gin

Visit site
We lost a crewman nearly 30 years ago in the Irish Sea and his body was never found.

Hard to imagine how terrible that loss was for his young widow and two toddlers- all I know is that the memory of that event, simply as a friend, is frequently still in the forefront of my mind

bluemoves

Visit site
I heard the radio conversation between the yacht that discovered the body and the coastguard, while I was sailing off Walton today. I too lost a dear friend in this way, just over a year ago, but he was never found. I listened with a lump in my throat and great sympathy for all concerned. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family.
Margaret