Yacht gets wedged under UK railway bridge

Minerva

Visit site
On 27 April a large motorboat, probably a Princess F50, got stuck under a rail bridge. Ooops.

Video: Yacht gets wedged under UK railway bridge

Well that driver wins the "Who's having the worst day at work award!"

The liability cost to that transport co will be eye watering - not only for the boat but also the costs levied from network rail for the line shutdown and resultant structural survey! Ouch!

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Mistake was to not get "Isambard Kingdom" to design and build it, the bridge not the boat.
Could well be a Brunel bridge, I am familiar with them as I live in a Brunel railway town.

Brunel only had to make his bridge openings fit a large cart and team of horses-the motor car and lorry were not envisioned at that time.

The nearest Brunel bridge to here is still in daily use and is unmodified. It has clear hight and width markings and is one way only.

The other one, now completely rebuilt takes motorway sized trucks and is two way. Before its rebuild it was one at a time for busses and lorries, two cars could JUST pass.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Well that driver wins the "Who's having the worst day at work award!"

The liability cost to that transport co will be eye watering - not only for the boat but also the costs levied from network rail for the line shutdown and resultant structural survey! Ouch!
I reckon the driver is probably at the wheel of an Audi when he’s not in his truck, so isn’t in the habit of using his mirrors

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I would say this is wedged "in between" a bridge rather than under it.

Clearly anyone transporting a load like this would check air draft along their route first. That was not the problem.

This begs the question, what is the maximum width that will fit "unless there is a width restriction sign"? Is there a width limit sign on this bridge? What is the width (beam) of this boat?

Concerto

Visit site
This begs the question, what is the maximum width that will fit "unless there is a width restriction sign"? Is there a width limit sign on this bridge? What is the width (beam) of this boat?
A quick Google:
Princess F50
Length overall (inc. pulpit):51ft 0in (15.55m)
Draft:4ft 1in (1.25m)
Beam:14ft 3in (4.34m)
Displacement:19,200kg (42,330lb)
Fuel capacity:407 gal/488 US gal/1,850l

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
A quick Google:
Princess F50
Length overall (inc. pulpit):51ft 0in (15.55m)
Draft:4ft 1in (1.25m)
Beam:14ft 3in (4.34m)
Displacement:19,200kg (42,330lb)
Fuel capacity:407 gal/488 US gal/1,850l
Very nice, but I thought the question being asked was about road defaults. Which maybe depends on the category of road? And of course there are vehicle restrictions too...

Plum

Visit site

Clearly anyone transporting a load like this would check air draft along their route first. That was not the problem.

No sign of any dimension signage on the viaduct

Compress_20240503_204921_1533.jpg

benjenbav

Visit site
There’s a link above that I’ve only skimmed, but I think it said that the truck had to be rerouted en route (owing to a motorway closure). So I would guess that the original route would have been planned and that possibly the diversion was not so well planned.

It looks as though the driver has managed to stop in time to avoid damage (I hope so, anyway) and, if so, there’s not too much to see beyond some temporary inconvenience.

penberth3

Visit site

Not sure but 9' 6" rings a bell, beyond that you're into Special Types/Abnormal Loads.

I think width restrictions are only signed if it's less than standard maximum width of 8' 3" or whatever.