Yacht down

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Certainly an interesting forecast to attempt to sail north towards Ardrossan.

Especially as I believe they’d only owned the boat for a week. Went and had a look at the wreck this morning which has washed up on the shore. Only two turns of pot line around the prop, a shaft mounted rope cutter would probably have saved the day.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Pot layers should be required to be secured to their gear at all times IMHO!
My first boat was especially vulnerable to floating debris and I must have had to remove trash from the prop once a fortnight, often at night.
As for the people laying gear off Lands End with markers that submerge when the tide runs, they should be chained to a half-tide rock with a spoon for company...

purplerobbie

Visit site
all the pictures I have are too high a resolution to post on here.

Attachments

• 8687DDEE-88DC-4A73-B0E4-067CF3317F45.jpeg
    8687DDEE-88DC-4A73-B0E4-067CF3317F45.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 78

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
You must be joking.
Big tides as well so half the passage likely to be wind against tide. 10 hrs trip in snotty horrible wet cold conditions.
Agree about Douglas being a better option but not setting off at all would have been far better
And I thought that Claymore's motto was ...........
"Smoke me a kipper ,I'll be back for breakfast" :)

They are all ok . That's the important thing.

cherod

Visit site
The most important thing , but not the only important thing , the people have lost their boat , i expect that is quite important to them , i dint understand how fishermen can get away with some of their careless no thot for other users and their environmental behaviour , some waters / areas are virtually no go areas at night or in heavy weather

[3889]

Visit site
You must be joking.
Big tides as well so half the passage likely to be wind against tide. 10 hrs trip in snotty horrible wet cold conditions.
Agree about Douglas being a better option but not setting off at all would have been far better
No joking . Do you not think you should anticipate meeting those conditions if you do a transat, which many 12m boats do? Not suggesting it's a suitable passage if you're sailing with your maiden aunt but it's certainly not reckless.

capnsensible

Visit site
I suppose the whole go or don't go decision was made by the skipper with knowledge way outside anyone on here is privy to. So subjective and in my opinion (see what I did there) can't be criticised.

Pot markers are a hazard in coastal waters world wide and one of those things we, as yachtsmen, have to put up with. Will never change.

As I see it, the crew had awful bad luck leading to an entirely unpredictable hull loss. If it was me I would be flippin annoyed. But very happy the crew in my care were safe.

capnsensible

Visit site
Unfortunately there is plenty of stuff in the world's oceans that can get wrapped around your propellor. Its happen to me on three separate transats.....

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Unfortunately there is plenty of stuff in the world's oceans that can get wrapped around your propellor. Its happen to me on three separate transats.....

Yes, but losing the use of the engine off soundings is just another job to do in the next calm spell. Losing the engine close inshore in the dark can be goodbye boat and perhaps crew.

Wing Mark

Visit site
Awful for anyone to lose a boat.

I am surprised the RNLI left the boat at anchor. Maybe it was not their decision, but I would have expected, if conditions are too much for the inshore LB to tow a 12m yacht, said yacht is more than a little at risk at anchor. Was there no possibility of a commercial tow?

It seems obvious that what's needed if a rope stops your prop is sails working pronto, but as has been said above, we were not there and can only speculate.
There is usually a lot more to a story than what's in the papers.

Bajansailor

Visit site

Not to mention floating stuff to bump into - apart from the popular stories about the semi submerged containers, there are also a lot of massive tree trunks floating around out there - I counted three that had been washed up recently on the east coast here when I took my dogs for a walk one evening a few days ago.
And some of them are proper trees with branches - if you sail into them, the only way to escape might be to go backwards.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yes, but losing the use of the engine off soundings is just another job to do in the next calm spell. Losing the engine close inshore in the dark can be goodbye boat and perhaps crew.
Indeed. Sailing out of a situation as you indicate is a challenge with reprecussions if you get it wrong. I'm all too familiar with engine failure....
Offshore you may need to free a propellor off to get the engine started to re charge batteries if the alternator is your sole source. Jammed in gear.
All part of the game!