Yacht Cruising - Claud Worth

machurley22

Visit site
I'm not much more than half way through this (that's just the first 300 pages then) so perhaps I won't like the ending /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but what a superb read so far. It may be from a bygone era but seamanship is still seamanship.

The worrying thing is that I paid far more than my usual £1.99 limit for second-hand saily books and the shop also had the companion volume of "Yacht Navigation and Voyaging" at a similarly eye-watering price...

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
It's the sailing book that I pick up most often. Good accounts of voyages and masses of helpful information. If I were only allowed one book this would be the one.

"Yacht Navigation and Voyaging" is much "drier" and deals mainly with outdated navigation methods, with only one voyage account in it.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Alas, that is not true - Little Knot swapped it with me for a far more valuable book - Edgar March's "Sailing Trawlers". And so far he has refused to let me make up the balance!

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
After so much acclaim I could not resist getting a copy, but alas non in the UK. An obscure American outfit called Toad Hall Press re-printed and bound a copy just for me! (yes the Coelan fund was raided).

On Chapter 1 - He has just bought Foam - I already know I am going to enjoy this book!

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Wait for the bit with the biscuit tin, in Ireland !

Oh and the moment, much later, when he meets a little girl patient, in Cowes!

Toad Hall Press are a good outfit, and their proprietor can be found posting on the "Wooden Boat" forum from time to time.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Abosolutely fantastic read and enjoyed every last minute of the book. I was amazed at how avante garde this sort of cruising was in the late 19th, early 20th Century. I would love to do a cruise to Normandy now just to compare notes. I presume all those languages he encounters such as Breton and Gaelic are all but lost.

I really enjoyed this quote, "An ugly yacht is no more attractive than an ugly woman, however fast she may be"

This book is now destined for the yacht library - I know I will want to dip into it when at anchor. Well worth the cost of a re-printed version.