Yacht ashore under the castle in Corfu

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
Last Thursday, there was apparently a localised but intense storm in Corfu. It was well forecast, and we shifted to Platarias, where we had thunder and rain, but nothing over F4. However, just talked to some friends who said it was a real gale in Gouvia. And we saw the yacht pictured on the rocks under the castle in Corfu. I assume the ferry boat is there to unload the fuel onto a couple of tanker trucks onboard.

They'll have a job shifting the yacht, as the sea level was up at least a foot on Thursday, and it appears to have one side firmly on the rocks.

I guess there is a professional skipper looking for a career change!

TonyMS

Attachments

• YachtOnRocks.jpg
    YachtOnRocks.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Last Thursday, there was apparently a localised but intense storm in Corfu. It was well forecast, and we shifted to Platarias, where we had thunder and rain, but nothing over F4. However, just talked to some friends who said it was a real gale in Gouvia. And we saw the yacht pictured on the rocks under the castle in Corfu. I assume the ferry boat is there to unload the fuel onto a couple of tanker trucks onboard.

They'll have a job shifting the yacht, as the sea level was up at least a foot on Thursday, and it appears to have one side firmly on the rocks.

I guess there is a professional skipper looking for a career change!

TonyMS

Tony
Spoken to R and M , they a bit worryed has they not heard from you can you just mail them please .

Lots more problem in corfu and Paxoi , where you been. Asleep :)

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Just an update on the motor yacht in this thread. It has now been patched up enough to be towed into Cleopatra in Preveza. It's got a series of plywood patches on the bottom of the hull, presumably covering various holes. The props have got large lumps chewed out of them where they presumably met the rocks whilst under power and both stabiliser fins have been torn away. It stinks of diesel where it is up on the yard, presumably as a result of ruptured tanks which required the boom and pump truck in the photo posted by the OP.
Lots of folks standing round it yesterday sucking teeth as the repair processes were assessed. Interestingly, most of the crew still seem to be on board at the moment.

Hardmy

Visit site
In the same vein, another MY was washed ashore on Ithaca (it was the night around 20/22.09.2015, the wind changed abruptly its direction):

ithaki-skafos-skinos-tria.jpg

ithaki-skafos-skinos-dyo.jpg

Quote: http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/511390/zimies-se-skafi-apo-tin-kakokairia-stin-ithaki/

I saw the CG deploying an oil boom, I guess they did not needed as long than the NAOK casualty to remove her from the beach.

Hardmy

Visit site
I just spoke with my electrician in Preveza, who said that he was busy with two boats who sank at the town quay. He sent me this: http://www.newsit.gr/topikes-eidhse...mani-tis-Prevezas-Deite-pos-to-evgalan/436970

I cannot read Greek, and I only hope that no one has been hurt. Being an Ionian newbie, was say the experts about 2015. Was it a nasty year weather wise? I am must admit not being used to be confronted to such a serie of mishaps. Maybe this is purely statistically related, with such a concentration of boats in the Ionian...

Damage at the stern, did the anchor broke out?

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
The Preveza town quay is not somewhere you want to be if the wind is at all southerly. I've seen boats pinned against the concrete bouncing up and down 3 or 4 feet or more.

Familiarity breeds contempt they say. 99 days out of a hundred the Ionian is like sailing on a warm swimming pool but it can and does turn into a bit of a bitch occasionally.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
The Preveza town quay is not somewhere you want to be if the wind is at all southerly...Familiarity breeds contempt they say. 99 days out of a hundred the Ionian is like sailing on a warm swimming pool but it can and does turn into a bit of a bitch occasionally.

It's the same the world over and whilst there are the occasional 'no one expected that' weather events, it's more often a case of Heikell, Doyle, et al, writing that abc or xyz are good, safe harbours/anchorages on the basis of the prevailing sailing-season weather patterns and then seeing yachts blindly following those recommendations despite a weather forecast which suggests said anchorages/harbours will be wide open to whatever's coming.

As I recall, the Gospels according to Saint Rodney didn't rate Preveza too highly even in settled/prevailing weather? On our first visit there - anchored N of the fishing harbour - we were sat in a bar on the Town Quay when one of those sneaky, evening easterlies came hammering down the gulf; recalling that evening whenever we re-visited, we chose never to moor there ourselves.

Ravi

Visit site
I cannot read Greek, and I only hope that no one has been hurt.

Yes, Nobody hurt. According to the article, the crew were sleeping ashore in a hotel!!!!!!

You are responsible for a yacht and there is a big blow forecast. Do you (a) Stay with the boat or (b) Go ashore away from the boat! ?????

From my limited Greek it sounds like the sinking was attributed to the fact that there was no stern fender and,since the yacht was moored side on, the stern damage that you point out suggests that the boat was not moored with proper springs.

So, it sounds like the case of a skipper / crew who left a boat in storm conditions, insecurely moored and went ashore to sleep in a hotel.

My interpretation may be wrong so I won't use the word that I think describes these people.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Admittedly looking at the photo it does look like it was badly fended and without Spring, but that not to say his fenders having broken away or his spring lines snapped.
In some cases even when a boat is moored up and fenders which are set corrected damage will happen.
Some time we are very quick to judge other, photos don't alway tell the full story.

A lack of bad judgment at the week end we also got caught out with five other boats, the wind turn up quicker then what was expected and before any of us knew it we was all pin on to the wall , some very quick thinking on our part and we Spring off .
But only minutes before it all got uncontrollable,
others wasn't so lucky, for the next six hours they stood on the quay holding boat away and sliding fenders back in places.
Lucky car tyres came to the rescue. Filled with water to weight them down they stayed in place.
They only managed to get freed of the quay when another boat anchored near by floated a line ashore and used his powerful windless to pull each boat clear of the wall , so they could motor away.
No boat where damaged but there was a lot of very wet and worried people .

Would we leave out boat and get a room in an hotel ?.
No we wouldn't , we would stay and do any thing and every thing in out power to protect our home but there comes a time when you have to put your life before the boat and at that time yes we would.
But I can only imaging that happening in some very unusually circumstances .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
A lack of bad judgment at the week end we also got caught out with five other boats, the wind turn up quicker then what was expected and before any of us knew it we was all pin on to the wall , some very quick thinking on our part and we Spring off .

I'm really pleased that you were able to get your boat off so quickly Vic.

I've been trying to exercise a lack of bad judgment for years now but things still keep going tits up! :)

Richard

Ravi

Visit site
Admittedly looking at the photo it does look like it was badly fended and without Spring, but that not to say his fenders having broken away or his spring lines snapped.
In some cases even when a boat is moored up and fenders which are set corrected damage will happen.
Some time we are very quick to judge other, photos don't alway tell the full story.

But only minutes before it all got uncontrollable,
others wasn't so lucky, for the next six hours they stood on the quay holding boat away and sliding fenders back in places.
Lucky car tyres came to the rescue. Filled with water to weight them down they stayed in place.
They only managed to get freed of the quay when another boat anchored near by floated a line ashore and used his powerful windless to pull each boat clear of the wall , so they could motor away.
No boat where damaged but there was a lot of very wet and worried people .

Would we leave out boat and get a room in an hotel ?.
No we wouldn't , we would stay and do any thing and every thing in out power to protect our home but there comes a time when you have to put your life before the boat and at that time yes we would.
But I can only imaging that happening in some very unusually circumstances .

Sorry if I sounded judgmental and I hate the idea of anyone losing their yacht. And yes, things will go pear shaped every so often through sheer bad luck or oversite. They do for me, anyway.

My point was that, however annoying the Europop on Preveza town quay can be, I think that most people would have stayed on the boat for that one night once they knew a storm was forecast. I know that at the first crack of thunder, I would have been legging it out the hotel to at least check on the mooring.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sorry if I sounded judgmental and I hate the idea of anyone losing their yacht. And yes, things will go pear shaped every so often through sheer bad luck or oversite. They do for me, anyway.

My point was that, however annoying the Europop on Preveza town quay can be, I think that most people would have stayed on the boat for that one night once they knew a storm was forecast. I know that at the first crack of thunder, I would have been legging it out the hotel to at least check on the mooring.

Ravi .
I wasn't suggesting that you was being judgmental, only saying that sometime all of us can be to quick to judge others.
photo don't always tell the full story.
There been many a boat damaged this year in the Ionina, some was because of bad luck,
We still sailing and waiting for a window to cross to Sicily, Malta and back to Sicily,
at last it looking good for a 50 hour window this weekend,
But the way the weather has been we not bank any money on it yet.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm really pleased that you were able to get your boat off so quickly Vic.

I've been trying to exercise a lack of bad judgment for years now but things still keep going tits up! :)

Richard

I think that applys to most of us Richard,
no matter how much experience we have, the elements can very easly catch us out.

Ravi

Visit site
I think that applys to most of us Richard,
no matter how much experience we have, the elements can very easly catch us out.

Not just the elements. Start the engine and check the Water outflow 99 times. Fail to check on the 100th time and Bam! - Guaranteed that is the time that you get a blocked water intake.

Boats are exempt from the laws of probability and natural science!