yacht aground

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I'd have thought that digging channels etc would trigger the bunnyhuggers - think about the damage to bats/newts/natterjack toads/rare spiders! I also wonder if the EA would be happy about all that disturbance on the saltings. You'd soon exceed the value of the boat on the plant-hire required I fear.

New Forest DC manage the moorings there apparently, so their insurance company may be in for a bit of a hit.

btw I'm impressed at shifting fifteen megatons of fertiliser in just 30 hours - no wonder the thing floated.
Must have been the great grand-daddy of grabs!
Our ancestors moved 10 ton stones from Wales and then overland to Stonehenge with just rollers and levers

We with modern jacks, planks and dollies cannot move a 6 ton boat 15 metres. Jared Diamond says there has been effective intelligence reduction since the stoneage - he may be right

Tranona

Visit site
Our ancestors moved 10 ton stones from Wales and then overland to Stonehenge with just rollers and levers

We with modern jacks, planks and dollies cannot move a 6 ton boat 15 metres. Jared Diamond says there has been effective intelligence reduction since the stoneage - he may be right
All very well if you have endless supply of disposable manpower and no time constraints. However paying for the gear and working on an unstable base with time constraints is likely to exceed the value of the boat. Easiest thing to do is rustle up a Chinook to do a bit of practice - If Wills can use one to visit his then girlfriend, rescuing a much loved Centaur should be OK.

jonathanhsm

Visit site
All very well if you have endless supply of disposable manpower and no time constraints. However paying for the gear and working on an unstable base with time constraints is likely to exceed the value of the boat. Easiest thing to do is rustle up a Chinook to do a bit of practice - If Wills can use one to visit his then girlfriend, rescuing a much loved Centaur should be OK.
My question is ... surely harbour authority/landowner HAVE to move it even if it's an insurance loss. Or would/could they just cut it up in situ?

Slowboat35

Visit site

I'm wryly amused at the picture of our stone-age ancestors trying to shift a sarsen stone across a gloopy salt-marsh. I suspect any modern attempt at such a folly might well demonstrate this alleged modern reduction in intelligence.
And 15metres? Is it? In the pic it looks more like 100 and may well be more to find a floatable depth. How do you move a boat across the many metres of semi-liquid mud at the boundary between barely-solid salt-marsh and a metre's depth of water? Splatchers?
It looks like it went aground on an exceptionally high tide augmented by an unusual surge so I suspect floating it off isn't an option. Neither is a Chinook.
I fear chainsaws will be the only solution.

ps. who the digamma is Jared Diamond?

Neeves

Visit site
Jared Diamond says there has been effective intelligence reduction since the stoneage - he may be right
You and I need to get out more (I'd never heard of him either), but I used Google :)

Jared Diamond - Wikipedia

You will be fascinated and want to buy his books. Once you have read his books maybe you can summarise and tell us how he, Jared, measured the intelligence of Stone Age man (whose major preoccupation must have been ..... food and heat (as Stone Age man did not bother to invent global warming)

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
btw I'm impressed at shifting fifteen megatons of fertiliser in just 30 hours - no wonder the thing floated.
Must have been the great grand-daddy of grabs!

The time scale could have been longer - its some years since the job ... but the 3x duration needed is correct.

The two vessels involved were GEARED - meaning they had their own crane / gra

Neeves

Visit site
If the fall back is a chain saw and the yacht (obviously) cannot be left there, then drag her out with a winch on an anchored floating barge using a long, dyneema, line. May need to turn her round first. If it works you have a recovered yacht, if the keels rip off then you have saved some time with the chain saw.

We used to have yachts washed up on our local beach (until they demanded sight annually of a mooring service invoice). The beached yachts were dragged across the beach until they floated. None were Bilge keeled - but many looked just like the OP's picture, similar designs and vintage.

Jonathan