XM 2000 h/h vhf

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I have acquired a vhf which still seems to work fine.

As usual, with old boaty stuff there is no manual.

I can turn it on, change channel and volume but that's about it.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can tell me how to alter the squelch
or possibly has a manual. I've searched the web for a manual with no luck
so far.

Here's hoping.

Many Thanks

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Unashamedly responding to my own thread by moving it up a bit

Hope someone new might respond. Ok, I won't do it again.

This old vhf has a much better range and voice clarity than some of the latest ones.

pvb

Visit site
There does seem to be an absence of info on t'interweb about it. I saw a forum post suggesting that squelch is adjusted by pressing a switch on the side and then adjusting via the volume control. Don't know whether this helps you.

Today's radios are so good and such good value (not to mention waterproof!) that you might consider selling yours on eBay and getting a new one.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Really appreciate you guys trying to find a manual for me.

Not to worry . It still can be used to both transmit and receive plus altering the volume .

As suggested, will press the side function and have various twiddles of the other buttons.

Thanks to all.

Scubadoo

Visit site
I have a manual somewhere and did scan it in for someone else on this forum a little while ago, I can check later. In the meantime, if you PM your email address I can then send it over once I have located it.

Edit, Actually just found the email with the attached scanned manual I sent before back in 2012.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I still use one, an excellent radio that outperforms a supposedly superior Icom by some margin. The batteries finally failed after about 15 years but I managed to open the sealed case and bought replacements on Internet.

ukbazz

Visit site
Have one of thes too anyone still have a manual works fine, but antenna needs replacing and need to know connector type to find a replacement - looks like SMA, but larger

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I think it is TNC, but it’s a long time since I looked at it in detail.
I took the aerial off and happily used the H/H vhf with a coachroof mounted high gain fibreglass aerial for many years before I eventually bought a DSC fixed vhf.
The xm2000 is now reunited with its stubby aerial as a backup to my fixed set, 22 years old and still working fine. I very much like the two battery packs, one rechargeable and the other 6x AA

Last edited:

ukbazz

Visit site
I think it is TNC, but it’s a long time since I looked at it in detail.
I took the aerial off and happily used the H/H vhf with a coachroof mounted high gain fibreglass aerial for many years before I eventually bought a DSC fixed vhf.
The xm2000 is now reunited with its stubby aerial as a backup to my fixed set, 22 years old and still working fine. I very much like the two battery packs, one rechargeable and the other 6x AA
Thanks for that.
I inherited one with my old boat and it's been so reliable I've kept it with the new one! Now I can buy that stubby aerial replacement :)

Refueler

Visit site
Old HH VHf's ... I have an old M100 Icom ... they were common on ships for years ....

Mine - the battery packs (I had two) died as they do after so many years .... all I did was to open the pack - isolate the cells - fix a lead that exits case allowing it to be plugged back in again. I then carry a LiPo velcro'd to the rear of the radio, which plugs into the lead. Gives me about 2x the original battery time .. still has the excellent range etc.

Why not replace the cells ? The battery pack has a BMS board that does not like any other battery form than the original NiCD 's ...... which are of course now not available retail. NiMH was tried but board did not accept ... strange.