Would you do it again with a new boat?

G

Okay, so you've had your boat for a while now and maybe, like me, you regret some of your purchases? Equally, there are some things we'd buy again for a new boat (even a brand new one). Here's my list of the good, and the bad:

The Good:

1. Yeoman Plotter
Because the paper charts mean you can still function properly even when you have a wave come down below, or if you lose 100% of your electrics. Apart from the fact that it has almost zero current drain, it's idiot proof. I no longer wat an electronic plotter with a screen the size of a paperback.

2. Raytheon ST60 instruments and ST4000+ autohelm
Because the equipment is faultless. Perfect displays, even at night, no condensation probelms, top quality connectors, proper manuals, real technical support ... and the depth sounder is SO accurate. Faultless in every respect and worth every penny.

3. Harken Self Tailing Winches
Easy to install, no sign of rope chafe, easy to use, easy to maintain. Awesome! The 40's are good, the 44's would have been even better.

4. Dubarry Sailing Boots
Because your feet stay warm no matter what. Becasue a wet sock actually dries out inside the boot becuase of the Goretex lining. Blissfully comfortable. It's amazing how much more you can stand as long as your feet are warm. Spoil yourself - you will never regret it.

The Bad:

1. NASA Clipper instruments
Because they never worked from new, failed repeatedly, have terrible backlighting for night time sailing, are innacurate and have photocopied manuals with mistakes. 100% thumbs down. Total and utter crap from a company which deserves to go bust .. and given their attitude it may be sooner than they think.

2. WAECO Refrigerator
Does the job but is a bugger to stow securely. Better to just not buy too many perishables and those you do to keep in a locker below the waterline. Faults are the high power consumption and unrelaible operation when used with sail boat batteries.

3. Barlow winches.
Toys. Replaced two after they failed - one exploded and the other warped! Tell anyone you meet not to waste their money.

4. Silly little fenders
I've decided that they need to have a circumference of nine inches to even come close to being useful. I'll flog the other ones as soon as I can replace them.

... and the wish list:

1. MUSTO HPX suit as people always look so comfortable in them, even in the rain. Proper collars too, and integral harness .... nice.

2. A folding prop because I want my Knot back, having given it up for a three bladed prop when I changed the engine! Just too big of a penalty and now unnecessary ... although it was bloody useful in the Bristol Channel.

What about you?

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

graham

Visit site
Agree on most points except the Clipper instruments.

After 5 years mounted outside in the cockpit mine are still OK .(One small prob with corrosion on a connector)Also with 7 levels of red back lighting I usually use level 3 or 4 .

Th large numbers are easy to see even for a short sited helmsman with wet glasses(like me).

Definitely go along with a decent set of boots though. rubber boots are ok for a day or two but prolonged use does nothing good for your feet or the atmosphere below...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
<rubber boots are ok for a day or two >
wow! Are you serious? Rubber boots could make my feet freeze when it's 20deg c outside. I've never known what they're for except keeping your socks dry. If you can't affor the Dubarry's wear workboots, I reckon. THen go round the deck and polish off the marks when you get bck to port!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I'll vouch for good breathable oilies- just dont spoil it by wearing ANY man made fibres underneath - you will have wasted your money.

Having bought all the layers, the system works just as advertised, and in my case has a second use for skiing, wher the same rules apply.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Have no personal experience of items on your good list but our PC based plotter is brilliant.

NASA instruements ARE and very inacurate. Failed plastic log impellor housing almost sank our boat and we had to wait three weeks for a reply to our request for a new one..£5 + p&p. In the bin with the rest!!

WAECO fridge...nothing but trouble...first one didn't work, second one used so much power it was ridiculous...turned out to be the ineterior light wasn't switching off...phoned WAECO to be told "Oh yes we know about that problem..we have a modified switch we will send you" got £50 from them to pay costs of electrician. This switch went wrong..discovered when SWMBO burnt her arm on the light bulb housing. When the controller for the compressor went we just ditched the thing. Now use a DAEWO mains 40 litre fridge in the marina and power through an 800 watt inverterwhen at sea etc., cost only a quarter as much and after 7 months use no problems.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Was this a typo, or have you misunderstood the principle?

The only thing you should wear under breathable outer layers of any sort are man made materials - natural fabrics like cotton and wool trap moisture and render the breathable outer usless

Inner layer should be a wicking layer, usually polyproylene or similar. Mid layer is usually fleece, also a man made material

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
here goes...

the good:

Lofrans windlass
Icom vhf & ssb
Mariner outboard
Flex-o-fold props
Whale pumps
Mega light (auto anchor light)
Wonder wash had-op washing m/c
Garmin GPS

the bad:

Schenker watermaker: 4 hours ave running time between breakdowns, 'ship back to italy' for after-sales service.

Lewmar winches: assemblers left out a plastic bush & £500 worth of winch seized up

Simpson-Lawrence toilets: up to my elbows in **** once a month for repairs

Plastimo gas alarm: first bit of damp and the bilge sensor packs up

Sikaflex 295 window glue: all my windows fell out!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
No my mind was wandering - it sould have been as you said - only dedicated inner and middle layer. I must take more of the medicine....

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
THE GOOD:
1.Autohelm 5000: It's absurdly simple to operate and as we sail as a couple it can free up an extra pair of hands in an instant. We sailed from the Scillies to L'Aberwrach in near gale conditions and never touched the wheel until we reached France.
2. Eberspacher DL4C: Best heater I've had. I've finally mastered the 7 day programmer and can set it to switch on automatically in the morning.
3. Radar: I've yet to use it in anger in fog in its first season but I've practiced with it crossing the Channel shipping lanes and closing the coast and it's amazing.
4. Carbon fibre spinny pole - I can lift it with one hand - nuff said.
SO SO STUFF:
1. Raytheon Chart Plotter: A great toy but I could live a bit reluctantly without it.
2. Autohelm Wind instruments: This is the first boat I've had them on and I like using them but I'd get used to living without them very easily.
USELESS :
1. Volvo Ardic heating system. It came with the boat and I wish it hadn't. It lasted all of 2 months before I replaced the air heating side of it with the Eberspacher. I'ts power hungry and inefficient. I'd never , ever recommend it.
2. Tinker Tramp sailing kit - basically it doesn't sail. The tenders good though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
I agree totally about silly little fenders. But I would count under that heading any fender with a circumference anywhere near as small as nine inches. Are you sure you didn't mean diameter?

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
autohelm 5000

i have the autohelm 5000+ hydraulic. it seems to buzz away furiously most of the time, even in flat water where a reasonable helmsman would barely touch the wheel. i've tried all the tuning adjustments in the book to no avail. how 'busy' is yours?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Dubarry boots - excellent. Worth the money to be comfortable so you can enjoy the sailing.

As for the rest, well I have to wait another season before we can draw any conclusions about our choices of equipment - not so generous as your list. Big purchases this winter 2 x Antal 40 ST's and a Gori folding prop - hopefully good choices.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: here goes...

Agree with the Lofrans and the Icoms
Also add Yamaha Malta o/b - brilliant and Laptop Nav package with Dolphin Maritime software.
What are you doing with your SL Bog then ?- perhaps a change of diet with plenty of roughage is needed !- Ours has been fine and maintenance free for 7 years.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

snowleopard

Visit site
SL400

the little springs that hold the inlet valves shut for priming break with depressing regulaity, the handle broke off on of them as did the pivot for the little plastic valve-lifting lever.

i have a stock of the little springs but when they run out, the whole lot takes the big swim.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Rubber wellies live!

Big black agricultural types that I can wear a couple of pairs of thermal socks inside, plus stuff a bit of newspaper down. My present pair cost £4 back in 1983, and have been worn hard ever since. There have been months aboard when they've only come off to change the socks. Non-slip paint on deck, so absolutely no problem with grip or black marks. No problem wearing them ashore, though they do contrast somewhat with local footware in places like the Caribbean.

SWBMO made me buy a pair of 'yachty' boots for when we are invited on others plastic fantastics. Cost £45 four years ago. Bloody uncomfortable (too long and thin - the fashion shape for a foot), toecaps don't protect against stubbed toes, useless ashore, cold, the toggles forever dig in my shins. Yet although only lightly warn, already they are showing signs of wear, or mabe UV degradation. Designed with disposability in mind.

Some things are hard to improve on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
For the Musto kit you want, try their (one and only) retal outlet at Bicester shopping village, whilst the stuff is not current the prices can be very good. You could call them first to see what they have in stock and sizes etc. They will even mail it to you if you prefer, speak to Dan who will scour the stock list to help you get what you want.

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: autohelm 5000

I've got the 5000 "plus" whatever that is. Under engine it's OK , doesn't seem too busy but it's a lot more busy under sail. It doesn't seem to do lot's of minor corrections but less of larger ones so to speak. I think a lot of it is to do with the boat. Mine is quite flighty and needs a fair bit of helming and the Autohelm actually can steer a better cousre than I can. Don't know what that says more about - me or the Autohelm !!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>