Would this be ok on the East Coast

Daydream believer

Visit site
It might be an idea to base the America’s cup on racing matched Centaurs
Definitely not. The price of second hand Centaurs would go through the roof & all the old duffers with blue flags, peaked hats blue sun stripes on their genoas & self opinionated ideals would be priced out of the market. Then where would we be --a whole generation of forumites gone for ever.

Gitane

Visit site
Definitely not. The price of second hand Centaurs would go through the roof & all the old duffers with blue flags, peaked hats blue sun stripes on their genoas & self opinionated ideals would be priced out of the market. Then where would we be --a whole generation of forumites gone for ever.

Hmm, maybe not the Americas cup, but a race open solely to Centaurs would be an excellent idea.

Perhaps there should be a Centaur class in the RIOW race, open to Centaurs only.

Does anyone have any contacts in the RIOW race committee to float (pardon the pun) this idea?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Hmm, maybe not the Americas cup, but a race open solely to Centaurs would be an excellent idea.

Perhaps there should be a Centaur class in the RIOW race, open to Centaurs only.

Does anyone have any contacts in the RIOW race committee to float (pardon the pun) this idea?
Many years ago the professional match race series came to the Solent ( possibly lymington) Westerley supplied 10 of their boats all complete with a race package & all "equalised" for performance & all brand new. Not sure what model it was though.
as one can imagine the professionals sailed the pants off them & they went really fast for that model.
At the end of the racing Westerley put them up for sale & added the race package FOC as part of the incentive to buy. I am told that they all sold within days.
The following year Westerley had the chance to repeat the process & management declined. I am told that it was an advertising mistake because , apart from the 10 being sold they had orders for the cruising ones as well & could have repeated the exercise quite easily.
Seems another westerly management cock up to me because even if a company is busy, it should never turn down the chance tonot miss a major advertising opportunity such as this. Bavaria, for instance, had the Bavaria Match in its range for a while. Possibly as a result of the same thing. but I am only guessing.
Those in the know can possibly comment as I only got the info from one of the race organisers

Concerto

Visit site
Many years ago the professional match race series came to the Solent ( possibly lymington) Westerley supplied 10 of their boats all complete with a race package & all "equalised" for performance & all brand new. Not sure what model it was though.
as one can imagine the professionals sailed the pants off them & they went really fast for that model.
At the end of the racing Westerley put them up for sale & added the race package FOC as part of the incentive to buy. I am told that they all sold within days.
The following year Westerley had the chance to repeat the process & management declined. I am told that it was an advertising mistake because , apart from the 10 being sold they had orders for the cruising ones as well & could have repeated the exercise quite easily.
Seems another westerly management cock up to me because even if a company is busy, it should never turn down the chance tonot miss a major advertising opportunity such as this. Bavaria, for instance, had the Bavaria Match in its range for a while. Possibly as a result of the same thing. but I am only guessing.
Those in the know can possibly comment as I only got the info from one of the race organisers
They were Fulmars. They also had special logos for the match racing event. It was an international competition with sailors from as far afield as the US and Australia.

A nephew was part of a crew about 10 years ago representing the UK in a similar match racing event in New York. They sailed 4 up and ended up winning the event. They were invited to collect their prize at the New York Yacht Club!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
To bring it back to the East Coast, the competition could be around some of our wonderful islands. I have sailed around Sheppey, Foulness and Potton on separate occassions. Round Potton was a dinghy race. I've not sailed around Canvey. I have a friend who sailed around Wallasea with a bit of portage.

The complication with most of our islands are the opening bridges. But part of the tactics might be being able to judge when teh bridge is likely to open and get there at the right moment. The Potton Island bridge keeper is generally good at opening the briidge at just teh right moment for the different members of a race fleet. Teh Centaur with a 1 metre draft would probably make it around Potton fairly easily.