Wooden Tiller Maker?

Racecruiser

Visit site
Anybody know who could make a tiller? A nice laminated curved one with metalwork for fitting the current rudder stock.

In the south preferably near the Hamble.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Well, with a bit of help from friends, I have made one - not a laminated one, as I was fortunate enough to obtain a nice solid piece of mahogany. I measured up the existing tiller, decided how I wanted the new one to look and drew up outlines on the wood. A neighbour who is good with wood did the sawing to get the outline right, then I have finished it with a plane, spoke-shaves and a lot of sandpaper. After final fettling, it will be varnished and hopefully will look a lot better than the current rather poor looking laminated one.

I'm afraid I'm not offering to make you one - but it really isn't beyond most people's abilities.

Ammonite

Visit site
Give Edward Dridge a call. Proper craftmanship and decent prices. He's based at the Hayling Yacht Company. If you can't track down his number I'm sure HYC will put you through.

No affiliation - just a happy customer

Racecruiser

Visit site
Thanks all - not sure the Flaming pattern will be up to the job but worth a chuckle.

I spoke to Tony Mackillicon today and he was very helpful but is in Stafford.

Any more ideas most welcome.

nct1

Visit site
Re: A thought...

I used this thread to find a recommendation for a replacement de-laminating tiller after several attempts to re-stick it, and I have to say that Tony Mackillican has done a splendid job, much better than I could do, (and I think I could do most things better than trades people.)

No connection other than a satisfied customer.

I only post this as a testament to the useful information to come out of the forum, even years after it was originally posted.

Sybarite

Visit site
About a hundred and fifty quid seems to be the going rate. Half that from the US, but the shipping is a bit pricey at $50 and you may get stung by customs.

I had a plain hardwood tiller for €40 from the local boatyard on the Seine. (about 10 years ago). The yard owner is still busy and I think he is now 90 years old - or not far from it.