Wondering the practicality og a round UK trip next year

Birdseye

Visit site
and likely far from alone in thinking of this. I am in my late 70s, the boat is a 29ft bilgie and I would be single handed. Fair bit of experience but never done a long single handed trip before.

First question in my mind is the route given that I would be planning on 4.5kn average and bearing in mind my age, the ideal day is going to be something like 30nm, maybe 40 max. Is this even possible> What would be the stopping points?

Boat equipment? She currently has only a very basic fit out of ST60, plotter, radar, pilot. Liferaft too old to service. Electric windlass, avon dinghy and O/B. What else is important?

Tips and hints for single handing long term?

Or am I simply being a romantic old fool?

Tranona

Visit site
Look at Concerto,s account of his round UK last year. He was more adventurous going right round the top but gives a good guide. Plenty of books and magazine accounts plus of course blogs and youtubes on doing it. Possible in day sails except up the west coast with its exposed harbours and down the east for similar reasons, although there are more stopping places but a bit bleak and boring by all accounts. More manageable if you go through the canal across Scotland.

capnsensible

Visit site
and likely far from alone in thinking of this. I am in my late 70s, the boat is a 29ft bilgie and I would be single handed. Fair bit of experience but never done a long single handed trip before.

First question in my mind is the route given that I would be planning on 4.5kn average and bearing in mind my age, the ideal day is going to be something like 30nm, maybe 40 max. Is this even possible> What would be the stopping points?

Boat equipment? She currently has only a very basic fit out of ST60, plotter, radar, pilot. Liferaft too old to service. Electric windlass, avon dinghy and O/B. What else is important?

Tips and hints for single handing long term?

Or am I simply being a romantic old fool?
Could be a fantastic trip and the crown in your sailing career. Plenty of pit stops on the way and places to leave the boat if you need to. Hope you enjoy it if you go.

Friend of ours has done it twice on a commercial yacht, also using the Scottish canals and has been booked to do it twice more next year. He loves it.

sailingmartin

Visit site
Birdseye. you shouldn’t have a problem. I did a similar thing five years ago in a 26 ft boat, although I am a few years younger. I stopped at 60 places and took four months (May-August). There might be several places where the 40 mile limit would be tight and I did a couple of overnights where I had an extra member of crew. You might find someone to join you for bits of the trip which would make things a lot easier and could be more fun. I took the Caledonian Canal short cut which again is worth considering. Good luck.

SaltyC

Visit site
Go for It! Bilge keel allows dying harbours so no long days. IF there is no time constraint. It is a dream of many, it can be done, accept your / boat limits and sail accorindgly.

dunedin

Visit site
Perfectly doable. But from Wales, I would think a cruise up the West Coast covering Ireland and the Scottish Isles and back the same way might be more scenic and more sheltered - probably with no need for any trips longer than a shortish day sail.
Much of the East coast of the UK has long boring legs with limited harbours and shelter compared to the west - more like a delivery trip than a cruise, IMHO.
A cruise round the Scottish islands can cover more miles than a “round southern UK” by the canals trip.
(Written by somebody who lives on the East coast but chooses to sail on the West coast.)

sailingmartin

Visit site
Yes, I did it with my dog. Wrote an article for Cruising (Cruising Association magazine) called “Around Britain in 200 dog walks“. Too big to attach to this message nut if you pm me with an email I’ll send it to you.

Supertramp

Visit site
I am considering a similar undertaking (minus dog) and you are on the right track with your thinking. You don't need lots of fancy kit but what you have needs to be 100% trustworthy. I think an easy to deploy pilot is very handy, giving you time to deal with other issues rapidly. Think about the back up for your important bits of kit. Pilot guides are useful for planning passages and stops without needing Internet.

30 to 40 miles is a nice daily distance and makes good use of favourable tide. You might find a need or desire to do longer passages sometimes such as across the Irish Sea, or stretches on the East Coast. Worth practising some longer trips to get a sense of passage times, food and rest. And try with the dog! I find I can plan and achieve 5knt plans but reality means I sometimes have to motor when a less ambitious speed would allow more sailing. Depends a lot on your boat.

Much written elsewhere but I find AIS and the associated anchor watch reassuring on passage and at anchor. But I could live without.

Age is not of itself an issue, but you have to know your limitations. I am less strong and get much more tired than 10 years ago.

B27

Visit site
I know maybe a dozen people who've sailed around Britain.
It is a lot of hassle doing day sails between awkwardly spaced tidal ports, or it is a few long legs in a decent boat. Preferably an erking great trimaran.
I know people who have enjoyed the whole thing and people who've felt the gloss come off it around about Inverness with a long slog down the East Coast.

Be very clear what you want from it.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Being storm bound and stuck for long periods has always put me off. This summer being a typical example. Perhaps I'm not willing to give the project full commitment though.

Neeves

Visit site
Being in your late 70s - I'd have a serious health check. The views of your wife, on health, might be useful input. Many people do not make 75.

I'd do it and I do not think you a romantic nor an old fool - you are asking in the right place.

Jonathan