With/Without VAT

byron

RIP
Visit site
The Upholstery Man has just left after quoting me for doing my saloon. I agreed his price which I though was VERY reasonable, it then occured to me to ask if the price included the VAT element. He said "No"
I still gave him the order but took issue with him, my point being that as a private customer he should have quoted me including the VAT. Saving exclusive of VAT quotations for people/companies who can reclaim it.
My question is. "Am I being unreasonable to expect to be told the true price" bear in mind that at this time the quote was verbal so I couldn't see the added tax.

ô¿ô

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
You raise an interesting issue Byron. and one which bugs me as well.
If I can recall my understanding of VAT law it used to be the case that if a product or service was offered to consumers the price quoted was deemed to include VAT unless stated specifically that it did not.
In practice, this seems to apply in a shop environment with price tickets etc but when it comes to tradesmen and direct purchases via mail order etc it seems to be prudent to ask the question up front.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com

hlb

RIP
Visit site
In law Byron. If Vat is not mentioned. Then it is included in the price.
Been there, got that tee shirt. Dont know what you do about it if verbal.

ERR Sorry just realised. not quite right first time so I've edited it.

Haydn

coliholic

Visit site
Oh well I think this was his first price negotiating ploy. You should have agreed the price to be inc VAT, not exc. That way get yourself a 20% discount expecially "for cash, no receipt needed, know what I mean guv" nudge nudge wink wink.

BarryH

Visit site
Take the boat off shore, or 3 mile limit at least, then the tradey man will be exporting goods/services. Then when byron comes home/british waters hes importing. even more that if VAT was chareged, thats of course if it was declared, and we all know baron byron, is a s straight as a die. The Tradey man should have said if the price was Plus or Minus vat, otherwise it is taken that all purchase taxes are included in price. given verbally or not.

Well thats what my vat notes say anyway, always wondered why they sent bits of paper with the return form, now i know<

Right im orf on a bootleg fag run who wants what, no booze orders please to heavy. fags and rolling bacci only..........

byron

RIP
Visit site
take the boat offshore? How does he the get all the seats etc. off and into a truck to take them to his factory? ;-)
technically I don't need pay VAT on items bought for the boat as she is Part 1 registered in Jersey, you try getting stuff without the VAT though when dealing with companies that are not acquainted with a flag of convenience.

ô¿ô

tcm

Visit site
Re: oh blimminek

Oh dear, what a pleasant chap you are. Asking if it includes VAT is a bit like asking if he's like some more money, to the tune of 17.5% .

Next time, say, "Right, you do the job and I'll make sure I have a cheque ready for £.... , or do you take credit cards?"

Then, see, he'll have to dream up the VAT extra idea. Instead of you doing it for him. Which I fear is what you have done.

Advanced practioners would fall to the floor, feigning a seizure at the high price, whatever it . Alternatively, by phone, whatever the price, say "HOW much????" and they always knock some off. This may involve a request for cash, but for less of it.

Only exclusively business-to-business operations (definitely not upholsterers) quote ex-VAT.

The legal implications have been tested, usually by skinflinty lawyers who set one of their students on to an unwitting supplier, at minimal cost to themselves.

coliholic

Visit site
Re: oh blimminek

Do the "skinflinty lawyers who set one of their students on to an unwitting supplier" charge inc or exc VAT? Or don't you ask and hence assume not and sue 'em when they do?

BarryH

Visit site
Re: Disbursements

Thats a crafty legal slangy term for "A Backhander/ Tip -you aint offring so i gonna take it/ You look stupid so im gonna take the P%%s.

I once asked for a breakdown of this fictional figure when we purchased wuthering hieghts as the wife calls it , guess what they could,nt do it, took them 2 days after which it was reduced by £175. So you tell me whose the crooks

Smug bugger BarryH

tripleace

Visit site
Re: Upholstery

I hope you have not used a father son team which is near us.

I am sure the name will " SPARK" off if you have.

call me if you have, you need to know some thing

www.cleverdic.co.uk ( byron the sites live, few minor links to sort out)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I suppose you checked if this bloke is VAT registered otherwise he's just shafted you for another 17.5%. Personally, I like to see the ex VAT price 'coz then you get an idea what the bloke's really earning out of you and what goes to His Toniness

jfm

Visit site
Re

Yes you're being reasonable, he didn't behave too well.

But tcm's probly right, you invited him to add the VAT

The legal comments above are correct, silence means "VAT included".

But you got the order of events wrong big time. You say you "agreed" his price, and I assume therefore you agreed a deal, entered into the contract. You should have stopped at that point. But you then called him and ask if he wants extra 17.5%, he sed yes, and you sed alright then. You mucked that one up Byron [ :) ] I mean if a bloke says to me that he'll do a job for £500 (when I'm just a private customer) I expect to give him £500 on completion, no more. If he asks for £600, tell im to sod off.