Wiring test on mast on the floor

All_at_Sea

Visit site
Hi
I have unstepped the mast and want to test the wiring to all the lights. Can l just get a 12v battery and touch each wire? Do l need a fuse for a quick test?

Visit site
Yes, you can use a battery and touch all the wire pairs or check connectivity with a multimeter.
A fuse is not necessary as long if you just connect for a short period to check everything is working.

Shanty

Visit site
That's pretty much what I did - small 12v battery with a couple of leads - connect to each pair of wires at the base of the mast, and look for light.

However, I did include an inline fuse in the positive lead. An accidental short across the battery could result in some fairly spectacular fireworks.

lustyd

Visit site
A fuse would still be necessary to protect the wiring in case something shorts. It's your choice, but if you screw it up you'll be pulling new cables through the mast and possibly new ropes (damaged by the heat) too. If you want to do a thorough test I'd probably use a battery one end and a bulb of appropriate wattage at the other. Just because connectivity is present doesn't mean the wire can carry the current you hope it will.

pandos

Visit site
I would make sure they all work at the same time and leave them on for while especially is you have new bulbs..

Definitely put a fuse in the supply...one fuse for the lot should work.

savageseadog

Visit site
A bulb is the way to go, a visual inspection is better still. If the wiring is old, just replace it. It's not worth the issues you might get plus the cost of unstepping the mast again.

jwilson

Visit site
When my mast was down a 9 volt dry battery touched on the wires at the base gave a glow from the incandescent steaming lamp and full brightness from the LED masthead anchor light. Even if you use a car battery I wouldn't bother with a fuse unless you suspect a problem - presumably the lights were working before you took down the mast.

Main work done when my mast was down 3 years ago was changing worn pulleys at masthead, and cleaning every inch including fittings - much done with a toothrush! Also pull through slug with cloth and cleaner a few times to clean out the sail groove, then McLube the groove.

greeny

Visit site
Hi
I have unstepped the mast and want to test the wiring to all the lights. Can l just get a 12v battery and touch each wire? Do l need a fuse for a quick test?
Depends what type of test you want to do.
If all you want is to prove the wire goes where it's meant to go then using a battery (preferably with fuse inline) is fine.
If you want to prove the wiring and it's integrity i.e. whether there's any leakage to earth (mast or fittings in this case) then the use af a meggar meter or equivalent to check the insulation integrity between wires and mast, and between wires and each other wire is the correct way.
Using the battery method can prove the wires go to the right place but doesn't necessarily prove one is not rubbing through against the mast or fittings.