Wire choice for float and bilge pump

fionn1432

Visit site
Hi all
I'm planning to wire up a bilge pump and float switch they are both separate. They will be wired into a sea flo 3 way bilge pump switch. I have 14awg 12v 20amp cable. Would this cable be suitable for what I'm planning to do

Thanks 1000021775.jpg

Slowboat35

Visit site
I'd have thought tinned cable would be all but essential for wiring to a bilge pump. It really should be used in all marine applications.
As for the amperage rating, the minimum is dictated by the current draw of the pump which we don't know. While undersizing cable isn't wise overspecifying that rating substantially has no benefit whatsoever but increases cable costs - though that probably aren't a consideration here.
For instance, Seaflo make a 1100gph pump which draws max 6 amps (probably momentary starting current) and suggest it is fused at 5a. A very pessimistic 6a at 12v as you know is 72watts. Your 20a cable is rated to draw 240w and that'll have a decent mnargin built in. Thus even this big pump draws only about a quarter of the capacity of your wire so unless your pump is unusually big or you plan to run four off the same cable it will be more than well able to cope.

Last edited:

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Hi all
I'm planning to wire up a bilge pump and float switch they are both separate. They will be wired into a sea flo 3 way bilge pump switch. I have 14awg 12v 20amp cable. Would this cable be suitable for what I'm planning to do

Thanks View attachment 177782
Simple answer is, Yes. More than adequate for that 14 AWG is 2.5mm cross Sectional Area (CSA) 16 AWG is 1.5 and would also be suitable for a bilge pump.
All that is assuming you have reasonably short runs and little or no volt drop. The purists will be along to explain it all:)

fionn1432

Visit site
I'd have thought tinned cable would be all but essential for wiring to a bilge pump. It really should be used in all marine applications.
As for the amperage rating, the minimum is dictated by the current draw of the pump which we don't know. While undersizing cable isn't wise overspecifying that rating substantially has no benefit whatsoever but increases cable costs - though that probably aren't a consideration here.
For instance, Seaflo make a 1100gph pump which draws max 6 amps (probably momentary starting current) and suggest it is fused at 5a. A very pessimistic 6a at 12v as you know is 72watts. Your 20a cable is rated to draw 240w and that'll have a decent mnargin built in. Thus even this big pump draws only about a quarter of the capacity of your wire so unless your pump is unusually big or you plan to run four off the same cable it will be more than well able to cope.
It's tinned

fionn1432

Visit site
Simple answer is, Yes. More than adequate for that 14 AWG is 2.5mm cross Sectional Area (CSA) 16 AWG is 1.5 and would also be suitable for a bilge pump.
All that is assuming you have reasonably short runs and little or no volt drop. The purists will be along to explain it all:)
Maybe 4 or 5 meters or less

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Purist? Arh... not been accused of that before. Like in ever.

The pump consumption (Amps - not water), the wire length and potential physical impact would be part of my considerations.

Unless the wires are really long, the price doesn't mean much, so rather more than too little. The connections should of course be adequate and it's a good idea to give them a shot of protective spray (not WD40 IMO) after assembly & test. For lack of better, body rust protection (car!) can be used.

fionn1432

Visit site
It's a 1100gph blige pump
Purist? Arh... not been accused of that before. Like in ever.

The pump consumption (Amps - not water), the wire length and potential physical impact would be part of my considerations.

Unless the wires are really long, the price doesn't mean much, so rather more than too little. The connections should of course be adequate and it's a good idea to give them a shot of protective spray (not WD40 IMO) after assembly & test. For lack of better, rust body protection (car!) can be used.
Good idea

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
1100 gph sounds plenty unless you break a seacock in which case it wont cope anyway.

Guessing: Rated consumption 4.1 A, required fuse 7.5 A

14 AWG is 2.5mm cross Sectional Area (CSA) will do fine over 4-5 metres. Personally have 4 mm on the shelf so use that for most unless space requirements dictate differently.

Do consider power supply to be constant, not switching off when you leave the boat.

fionn1432

Visit site
1100 gph sounds plenty unless you break a seacock in which case it wont cope anyway.

Guessing: Rated consumption 4.1 A, required fuse 7.5 A

14 AWG is 2.5mm cross Sectional Area (CSA) will do fine over 4-5 metres. Personally have 4 mm on the shelf so use that for most unless space requirements dictate differently.

Do consider power supply to be constant, not switching off when you leave the boat.
And 14 AWG will be fine for both the pump and switch

Refueler

Visit site
Contrary to all the experts ... I use cable usually intended for such as bedside lights etc. Tinned ? No. I have such wiring on my SR25 and its been in place for about 15yrs ... the only bit that has had to be replaced a few times - the choc block connectors.

Pump is an 1100GPH with auto float built in ... up to 6A @ 12V.

I have a suspicion that the cables fitted to the pumps may not be tinned anyway .. maybe ???