Winter on Windermere

sereda

Visit site
I am nearing completion of a full refit to my Westerley Jouster, and thought than rather leave it in a yard somewhere, I could put it on Windermere for the winter and get some use out of it. I see they do a cheap winter mooring fee out on the moorings, but after last winters near continuous storms, I feel that this might not be a safe option for the boat. The price for Windermere village marina, is rather too expensive for the use I would get. Are there any cheaper pontoon berths over winter, or are some of the moorings relatively sheltered.
Thanks

TimBennet

Visit site
Apart from the marina, all the other pontoon berths are exposed to the wind in some direction or another. They are also all fixed but in winter the lake level can shoot up and down making mooring not so easy. The pontoons are also the first areas to freeze and if the ice then subsequently moves, your boat can be in a right state.

So the moorings are kindest on your boat (and pocket). The ones in front of Ferry Nab are convenient, but there are others. Behind Belle Isle are the most sheltered but I don't know if there are any as winter lets. Just ask around. There's lots of people who only sail on the lake for the winter series (I did for years) and I always managed to find a mooring and never had any problems with bad weather.

The 'temporary moorings' let by the Lake Wardens used to be in a terrible state. You need to budget some money to checking whatever mooring you find, especially for the winter.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Behind Belle Isle is generally the safest spot. I was on the Fallbarrow North moorings for about 10 years (Windermere Steam Boat Museum) and that is very exposed to Northerlies, which are predominant during winter.
Fine if you can check your moorings weekly.

Perhaps someone taking their boat away for the winter would come to some arrangement with you and tell the warden they have another boat for the winter?
Not entirely in the spirit of the regs, but you'd have an idea what condition the mooring was in. You would need to be prepared to take your boat out when they said though.

You get some fantastic days for sailing in the winter.

Sandgrounder in November

6th%20November%20Sandgrounder.jpg

Frostbite Series

FrostPamorama.jpg

Boxing Day

Boxing%20Day%20sail.jpg

December

frozenlakeDec05c.jpg

Ice on the foredeck in February

Dicksail08.jpg

March

Oceanis.jpg

Slippyonlake01.jpg

sereda

Visit site
Thanks for the replys, very encouraging. The winter mooring charges are almost the same as keeping it on its trailer in the boatyard.
Will ring the wardens next week and see what is available, unless any forumites will have a mooring free over winter.