Winter layup - new brim or don't brim diesel advice

ari

Visit site
I've always followed the advice to brim the diesel tanks over winter, been doing it for years, but I've just seen this from Marine16 which suggests doing the exact opposite!

Marine 16

Interesting article.

kashurst

Visit site
My last three boats all had diesel bug when I bought them. Marine 16 et al, gets rid of it as long as you get any water out.
I am inclined to agree with the marine 16 article. Modern diesel goes off. In cold climates I think it separates into layers creating a whole new set of issues.

ari

Visit site
The big issue is will diesel by more or less expensive in 6 months. Let that guide you.

Compared with the aggro and cost of trying to get rid of diesel bug, the potential for diesel to be a little bit dearer or a little bit cheaper in 6 months time is neither here nor there for me. I'll opt for whatever I think is most likely to avoid that scenario.

Plum

Visit site
I've always followed the advice to brim the diesel tanks over winter, been doing it for years, but I've just seen this from Marine16 which suggests doing the exact opposite!

Marine 16

Interesting article.
There are many opinions on what to do and they have been debated here a number of times over many years with no clear evidence on what is right. Based on my experience over 35 years of diesel engine boat ownership is that there is no benefit in filling the tank.

www,solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Sianna

Visit site
Use your boat over the winter, mines out in Dec for 4 weeks them back in the marina, we had some amazing winter days out last year, saves on winterising, I do tend to keep the tank filled and treated with Marine 16 so it useable at any time.

Bandit

Visit site
1/ If you believe you have water in your fuel try and remove it, I know it's easier said than done in most boats I have sumps I can strip most don't.
2/ Always treat the fuel with a proprietary diesel biocide Marine 16 or Grotamar.
3/ Check your prefilters frequently and remove water whenever you see it.
4/ If the prefilter elements are starting to gum up replace the filters, always keep several sets of spare elements on board.
5/ If you know you have a problem get it sorted pronto, clean the tank, if it's a small amount of diesel dump it and replace with fresh.

Modern common rail diesels are wrecked by water and dirty fuel , don't go there.

Shifty

Visit site
I’ve been boating 30+ years, always brim the tanks over winter and occasionally use over the colder months but never had a bug problem.
Also I add the appropriate dose of Fuel Set every fill.

Momac

Visit site
Last winter was with tanks below half full.
No known fuel issues.
Additive used at every refuelling . Present additive is sold mainly as a fuel system cleaner .

Fuel has changed over the years and now has some FAME content and a shorter shelf life than the high sulphur stuff of the past.

Richard.C

Visit site
Has anyone actually had any issues purely related to old diesel breaking down over winter? I've never heard of issues due to old diesel, plenty of issues with old petrol just never heard about diesel.

Momac

Visit site
Has anyone actually had any issues purely related to old diesel breaking down over winter? I've never heard of issues due to old diesel, plenty of issues with old petrol just never heard about diesel.
Try searching on the interweb
1665734177028.png

ari

Visit site
Always bear in mind that the point of the article is to sell a product ;)

Clearly they want to raise awareness of their product, nothing wrong with that. But since running your tanks low in winter doesn't affect sales of their product one iota (except, possibly, negatively), it's rather disingenuous to suggest that it's 'the point of the article'.

ari

Visit site
I’ve been boating 30+ years, always brim the tanks over winter and occasionally use over the colder months but never had a bug problem.
Also I add the appropriate dose of Fuel Set every fill.

Ditto, but it's important to understand that the diesel you buy today is different to what it was 30, or even 10, years ago and react accordingly if necessary.

KREW2

Visit site
Yes it is
But the amount of additive required is proportionate to the amount of fuel.
So if little fuel is in the tank as per their advice, is not maximising their sales .

Well that is not exactly true. They recommend putting a killer dose into the emptyish tank.