Winter layup - new brim or don't brim diesel advice

Daydream believer

Visit site
The whole concept is alien to me.
Laying up the boat that is.
What a waste.
I would still have to lift the boat out 3 times for jet washing, if I wanted to sail, due to the weed build up, as I have copper coat. :( Once at the end of the summer season, once mid winter & once at the start of the main season.
I would also have to change the engine & saildrive oils I change the filters annually. The prop would have to come off to have an extra set of anodes. Some jobs would not be a simple lift & jetwash so the boat would have to be placed on a stand for a few days, thus incurring cost. I feel it is a good thing to flush the engine through to clear salt build up if possible, as well. So even if i was inclined to leave the boat to suffer the winter environment, I would still have some maintenance items to complete. I pay the same annually whether ashore or afloat so once the boat is ashore I prefer to leave it so. This year i am having new rigging for the second time in 18 years. It will be the 5th time the mast has been removed, so each time would be a natural reason to lay up ashore as well.

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site
I would still have to lift the boat out 3 times for jet washing, if I wanted to sail, due to the weed build up, as I have copper coat. :( Once at the end of the summer season, once mid winter & once at the start of the main season.
I would also have to change the engine & saildrive oils I change the filters annually. The prop would have to come off to have an extra set of anodes. Some jobs would not be a simple lift & jetwash so the boat would have to be placed on a stand for a few days, thus incurring cost. I feel it is a good thing to flush the engine through to clear salt build up if possible, as well. So even if i was inclined to leave the boat to suffer the winter environment, I would still have some maintenance items to complete. I pay the same annually whether ashore or afloat so once the boat is ashore I prefer to leave it so. This year i am having new rigging for the second time in 18 years. It will be the 5th time the mast has been removed, so each time would be a natural reason to lay up ashore as well.
The water keeps the boat warmer than the air does.

And it’s a waste of a boat not to be able to use it.

Daydream believer

Visit site
The water keeps the boat warmer than the air does.

And it’s a waste of a boat not to be able to use it.
And of course the upholstery stays nice & dry. There is no condensation & one does not have to do any work on the boat that requires lifting- like antifouling etc. Just let the weed grow & the sails & running rigging go mouldy. Good move that. Just hope the marine has enough sockets for you to run an dehumidifier & it does not catch fire :rolleyes:
But to each his own & what suits one will not suit another.

This morning I started emptying my boat. Starting with bringing all the upholstery home for storage & cleaning. The food ( get rid of those half used bottles of sauce, pickles etc), will be next, then all crockery , Then everyything else on the boat, - apart from the tool kit & fenders & a couple of items in the aft locker - deck scrubber, boat hook etc. plus some cleaning kit.
I find that doing this is a good way to get rid of the accumulation of gear that is no longer needed over the year. Then the next year the boat can start clean & fresh

Elessar

Visit site
And of course the upholstery stays nice & dry. There is no condensation & one does not have to do any work on the boat that requires lifting- like antifouling etc. Just let the weed grow & the sails & running rigging go mouldy. Good move that. Just hope the marine has enough sockets for you to run an dehumidifier & it does not catch fire :rolleyes:
But to each his own & what suits one will not suit another.

This morning I started emptying my boat. Starting with bringing all the upholstery home for storage & cleaning. The food ( get rid of those half used bottles of sauce, pickles etc), will be next, then all crockery , Then everyything else on the boat, - apart from the tool kit & fenders & a couple of items in the aft locker - deck scrubber, boat hook etc. plus some cleaning kit.
I find that doing this is a good way to get rid of the accumulation of gear that is no longer needed over the year. Then the next year the boat can start clean & fresh
Desiccant dehumidifiers don’t have a habit of catching fire.
Keeps the boat so dry I keep the beds made.
There is more condensation out of the water because the temperature swings are greater. The water makes the bottom of the boat act like a big radiator.
And I can use the boat any time I like. Those crisp cold blue winter days are just special.
I get the boat out in the summer to do the underwater jobs when the work is so much more pleasant.

paradave

Visit site
I get the boat out in the summer to do the underwater jobs when the work is so much more pleasant.
I’m always surprised at this approach, it makes sense but to waste ANY summer day by being on the hard would make me feel very sick.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I completely drain my tank and clean it out every winter. I run it down at the end of the season and generally only pump out 30-50l which I then mix with fresh diesel at the start of the next season.