Wing mirrors

RobbieW

Visit site
Maybe in your boat. In mine I'd be nowhere near the throttle or the wheel if I could see the topsides at the widest point of the boat. The thing you might be missing is that while I can absolutely move to the side deck, a mirror would mean I didn't need to. Yachting doesn't need to be hard work!
For me, the point is that I dont need to see the widest point to know where it is in relation to the stern. So long as the quarter is the right distance off and the boat is straight, the rest will sort itself out

zoidberg

Visit site
Shame as we could have ironed out your misconceptions. However we have AIS and an unending source of magic moonbeams so feel free to watch our progress on vessel finder. ? Yacht Tansel. Lagoon 42.

......the Lagoon 42 is simple to sail and offers plenty of comfortable living accommodation both above and below deck, making it perfect for couples or families who want to relax and cruise in comfort.....

'Peel me a grape!'

It's tuff at the top!

capnsensible

Visit site
Jolly pleasant here in San Carles. But I'm flippin freezing. :oops:

As it says tho a very comfortable boat. The previous owner has spent continuously to keep her up to speed. Pleasant sea trial this forenoon. Victualling party despatched so all good for tomorrow.

RobbieW

Visit site
Jolly pleasant here in San Carles. But I'm flippin freezing. :oops:

As it says tho a very comfortable boat. The previous owner has spent continuously to keep her up to speed. Pleasant sea trial this forenoon. Victualling party despatched so all good for tomorrow.
Spent a fair bit of time in San Carles over the last decade, nice place. Safe trip

SimonKNZ

Visit site
Maybe in your boat. In mine I'd be nowhere near the throttle or the wheel if I could see the topsides at the widest point of the boat. The thing you might be missing is that while I can absolutely move to the side deck, a mirror would mean I didn't need to. Yachting doesn't need to be hard work!
I can see the point of this. Entering a narrow berth astern, it is not possible to see the clearance between the hull at its widest point and the corner of the pontoons (hence why wheel fenders are fitted to some pontoons). A mirror on the forward corners of the pushpit would give the helmsman a good view of this, letting him use wheel or bow thruster to make adjustments. As with the OP, I'd have to move quite a distance to see this directly, especially on the side away from the throttle, with the cockpit table in the way. Current practice is to stand near the centre line and judge that the boat is centered in the berth, but current practice is not always best practice.

Achosenman

Visit site
I can see the point of this. Entering a narrow berth astern, it is not possible to see the clearance between the hull at its widest point and the corner of the pontoons (hence why wheel fenders are fitted to some pontoons). A mirror on the forward corners of the pushpit would give the helmsman a good view of this, letting him use wheel or bow thruster to make adjustments. As with the OP, I'd have to move quite a distance to see this directly, especially on the side away from the throttle, with the cockpit table in the way. Current practice is to stand near the centre line and judge that the boat is centered in the berth, but current practice is not always best practice.
I think the point is you don't need to actually see to know where the boat sits in relation to the berth.

zoidberg

Visit site
Should someone really want this capability, it's already available via 'aftermarket dashcams' which show the views forward and to the rear. One each side, suitably angled, would suffice. Weatherproof - to some extent - and operable on 12VDC.

Achosenman

Visit site
Well I certainly can't smell how close I am to the pontoon. Are you suggesting we listen for the thud?
No, I'm suggesting that skippers use visual cues to know where their boat sits in relation to a pontoon.
Have you had someone walk the pontoon as you stand at the helm to find a cue/aiming mark you can use while you are alongside? You can see how far into the pontoon walkway your toe-rail sits for example. TBH, I think you would benefit from a session of close quarter handling with an instructor.

lustyd

Visit site
No, I'm suggesting that skippers use visual cues to know where their boat sits in relation to a pontoon.
Have you had someone walk the pontoon as you stand at the helm to find a cue/aiming mark you can use while you are alongside? You can see how far into the pontoon walkway your toe-rail sits for example. TBH, I think you would benefit from a session of close quarter handling with an instructor.
I've said many times that I can berth my boat quite comfortably so not sure why you think I need an instructor, perhaps you need an English teacher? The point is that a mirror would be an extra aid, and would be a real time view of what's going on. Perhaps there's a sticky out bit of the pontoon you had not noticed, or a rope in the water you had not seen - what good will your man on the pontoon three weeks earlier do you then?
If you're in favour of people learning things, try not to be so closed minded!

Achosenman

Visit site
I've said many times that I can berth my boat quite comfortably so not sure why you think I need an instructor, perhaps you need an English teacher? The point is that a mirror would be an extra aid, and would be a real time view of what's going on. Perhaps there's a sticky out bit of the pontoon you had not noticed, or a rope in the water you had not seen - what good will your man on the pontoon three weeks earlier do you then?
If you're in favour of people learning things, try not to be so closed minded!
The fact that no-one fits them should tell you something. If you want to lead by example, fill your boots. I'm sure the idea will catch on...or not. :ROFLMAO:

lustyd

Visit site
The fact that no-one fits them should tell you something.
Yes, it tells me that people have not thought about it, or those that have were talked out of it by those stuck in their ways. Every new idea starts with nobody else doing it, that doesn't mean every new idea is a bad one. The difference is whether you give something a try before dismissing it or not.

Aardee

Visit site
Yes, it tells me that people have not thought about it, or those that have were talked out of it by those stuck in their ways. Every new idea starts with nobody else doing it, that doesn't mean every new idea is a bad one. The difference is whether you give something a try before dismissing it or not.

I see your point, but neither boats, docks or mirrors are exactly new, and nobody has felt the need to put the three together - However, using some sort of AI driven augmented reality to assist in docking would be truly innovative, and the "if it was that good it would have been done years ago" argument would be negated

Achosenman

Visit site
Or maybe they have found that with relevant instruction and applied knowledge, they don't need them...

lustyd

Visit site
I see your point, but neither boats, docks or mirrors are exactly new, and nobody has felt the need to put the three together - However, using some sort of AI driven augmented reality to assist in docking would be truly innovative, and the "if it was that good it would have been done years ago" argument would be negated
To be fair older boats don't have as much of a need because they were less beamy and had less stuff in the way. Modern AWBs are more challenging to move around and harder to see various bits from the helm. Very modern boats seem to all have twin helms so there clearly was a problem and it clearly has been addressed