wind scoops

lindsay

Visit site
I have a normal wind scoop which is mostly useless in a marina. On the blog of Webb Chiles, a US navigator/author, he talks of a 4-way wind scoop that is effective even at a berth. I see that Plastimo advertise an omnidirectional scoop in Europe. Presumably the same thing? Does it actually work??

The current heat wave in the Mediterranean has got the better of me and I have scurried back to the UK on Easyjet to the 19/20 deg summer temperatures of this green and pleasant land but am looking at solutions for next year.

OldBawley

Visit site
I make our windscope´s myself.
We have a classic boat and the bought ones look parakito. I also dont like the sound the cloth of the store bought scopes make.
Made a crème coloured big scoop that can be “reefed”. First thing I rig when anchoring. Our dark boat needs a lot of ventilation to keep the temperature down.
I have made a four sided scope also. Seen from above it is actually an X with the length of the legs as large as possible. The wind blows it in a wide U just covering the hatch opening. On top a cover and two small sticks to keep it open. Made it of some curtain cloth.
Works fine, only problem is that in marina´s or packed between other yachts on a town quay there is no wind.

The heat is getting more difficult to cope with as we get older.
I even leave for places that have a see cooled wind in stead of a heat packed land wind.
Difficult to find with N winds.

This year is exceptional. Metal as winches and so cant be touched. Some weeks ago people fried eggs in a pan just holding it in the sun. I sometimes wonder what steel or aluminium boats must be like in this heat.

JFowler

Visit site
The plastimo 4 way scoops work, but be aware they don't have any means to attach around/ thro the hatch. You'll have to make up something with poppers to attach thro the hatch.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The current heat wave in the Mediterranean has got the better of me and I have scurried back to the UK on Easyjet to the 19/20 deg summer temperatures of this green and pleasant land but am looking at solutions for next year.

I think it might be fading at last. It's 10:30 at night and down to 28 degrees which, after the last few days, feels quite chilly. :)

Richard

geem

Visit site
We have 10 opening portlights. We have scoops fitted to some of these to push air into the back cabin. They work very well. We use clear stiff sprayhood window material for the scoops with a s/s frame to keep its scoop shape. The clear material lets lots of light in. They hook in place with a bungy and a piece of dowl. Thry can be reversed to suck if its raining. In the galley they are brilliant as extract units to remove heat and steam. We have had many comments from fellow sailors who have borrowed the pattern and made their own

Carmel2

Visit site
We have 10 opening portlights. We have scoops fitted to some of these to push air into the back cabin. They work very well. We use clear stiff sprayhood window material for the scoops with a s/s frame to keep its scoop shape. The clear material lets lots of light in. They hook in place with a bungy and a piece of dowl. Thry can be reversed to suck if its raining. In the galley they are brilliant as extract units to remove heat and steam. We have had many comments from fellow sailors who have borrowed the pattern and made their own

Do you have a photo? Sounds interesting...

Sandyman

Visit site
I make our windscope´s myself.
I sometimes wonder what steel or aluminium boats must be like in this heat.

We also make our own. The plastimo ones are junk, cheap rubbish.
Steel Boat......................................dont even ask :) :)

geem

Visit site
Wel done anyone attentive enough for wind scoops. I ditched them after sudden rain showers ...
We dont have them on our deck hatches. As you say, rain showers and wind scoops dont work. Our front hatch is 700x700mm. it is a wind scoop! The portlight scoops can be reversed easily from the inside. At night we often reverse them so they suck air out and stop rain coming in :)