Wind Charger

Talbot

Visit site
My boat engine (outboard) only produces 20amps, and I am considering the addition of a wind charger (and possibly when funds allow a 50w solar panel) at the moment my selection is a Rutland 913.
Comments please.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
If you're getting 20amps out of an outboard's charging coils then it must be a large outboard with a multiphase coil array such as an Evinrude of 50plus HP. The smaller ones can rarely give a charging output (13.8 to 14.4 volts to charge a 12volt battery to 80% and 98% respectively) in excess of 5amps. A wind generator will at best give you no more than 5 amps and since Watts = Volts X Amps, your 50watt solar panel will also at best give 50/13.8 = 3.6 amps.

There are many sailors who would give their eye teeth for a continuous supply at 20amps.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Engine is a diesel outboard!! fitted to 29 ft multihull. However I have a heater (Eberspacher) and plan on a bow thruster (1 engine, twin rudders!!!!!) and a windlass. At the moment windward performance is only courtesy of the engine, so battery bank (300amphrs) is just managing. Improvements to windward performance under sail planned for this winter, and increased power consumption mean that I will have to do something - hence the plan. I am also investigating the use of a bridge to get the full charging potential from the engine (i.e. 40 amps). but was really after experiences of the Rutland versus aerogen.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
The wind generator claiming the greatest output is the US Airmarine - tho' it is exterely noisy they claim up to 20 amps from it.

I've got an 85watt panel, an Ampair generator and a 100 amp alternator and don't run anything like your proposed array off my 300 amp-hour bank.

If you have access to shore-power I'd strongly recommend a 20-amp smart charger.
If not you need to do your sums again and find an alternative additional source of energy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I have a 24v Rutland 913, it is a quiet generator which makes a satisfying woosh in high winds. When it is blowing greater than F4 it produces a good trickle charge. Its best function is keeping the batteries up when the boat is unattended.
If you are looking to charge on passage, I reckon your best solution is your engine and a 'smart' regulator. Otherwise a mains charger powered by a mains generator if at anchor or no access to shore power.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
AirMarine

I have one of these beasts, yes they provide a lot of power, average around 5 A in force 3-4 appearant and considerable more in higher windspeeds.
So we are basically self-sufficient when making passages, and using lanterns, autopilot, radar and fridge etc.

But the price is noise, we can live with it under certain circumstances, but not in a quiet anchorage.

But I don´t think there is any other wind generator which can compete in terms of output.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
A bow thruster is going to eat your batteries alive. Why not get a second engine? double your charging ability and give you control?

<hr width=100% size=1>

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Look at DuoGen

I've had a DuoGen for a year or so now and am extremely pleased with it (its been updated to the latest spec - various detail design changes). It produces nearly 5 - 8 amps is 14-16kts of wind, and in its water mode (used whilst actually sailing) it can supply all your electrical requirements (provided you sail at 5-6 kts plus).

Price is on a par with AirMarime but is silent by comparison! Have a look at their website http://www.duogen.co.uk

Good company to deal with too - very friendly and willing to help.

Cheers,

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
2 new engines (not feasible to double up on existing installation) + stern gear propellors etc = Loads of money, and loses advantage of existing system - lots of power, relatively light weight (compared to 2 engines), when sailing I can lift prop out of water, if I get prop entangled I can reach it from the stern platform without getting wet after I lift the prop.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I think I need a bit more than a trickle!!! - I will be checking out comparison Rutland/duogen. I will also talk to adverc at the show.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Yanmar Diesel Outboard 27hp (they also make a 36hp), only real problem with it is that it turns a fairly small prop quickly (designed for Rib market) My version is an ultra long shaft with hydraulic tilt (it was the first of this type into the country when I got it 10 yrs ago). It is good enough to push my yacht at over 5 knots against 35 kts of wind/steep waves.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Re: Catalac 9m

I have changed the Genoa sheeting position from the stern to a turning block by the winch, and extended the jib track on the deck right up to the turning block. I had to have a new genoa, but as funds were low at the time, I had a cut down sail from a 10m. A new genoa will undoubtedly improve things considerably as the slot is being shut at the moment (hope I win the lottery soon!). A new main has helped, so in light wind sailing with a smooth sea, I am doing quite well. The real problem comes in any swell, when the bow design causes the boat to stop at each wave. This winter I am booked in for a mod to the bow to come vertically straight down from about 50 cm above the waterline, and then with a semi-bulbous bow (eliptical) under the waterline sweeping back to join the existing hull shape. This will also give me the lead into a bow thruster on the starboard bow.

At the same time to balance the additional underwater grip forward, I will be extending the skegs from the rudders fwd from about half way down the skeg. This will aid the grip of the hull under normal sailing - so reduce lee way, but should allow the hull to slip sideways in any survival situation. This is only possible as I have a single engine on the centreline.

<hr width=100% size=1>

janversteeg

Visit site

I have two saildrives withfixed props, no skegs and flat steelplate rudders. Sails are rather new. I manage to achieve 70 degrees to windward , (leeway included) on a choppy see, (IJsselmeer, famous for it's steep short waves). So, I really need the engines. Boat is also bouncy in those circumstances.
What does your boat achieve ? I plan to mount integrated profiles rudders/skegs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site

Havent been on a very choppy sea since the new main. (back is playing up at the moment). progress really depends on wind strength - if there is sufficient to be able to punch through the waves I achieve a VMG of about 1.5 - 2.5 kts. I expect to achieve a VMG of over 3 when I have finished.
In the Solent at the moment if wind and tide are against me I tack back and forward and remain in the same place!!! In calm water conditions, I have been achieving best VMG with the wind at 40 degrees, but have been able to get as close as 30. reducing the leeway will also improve the VMG.

Normal Catalac skegs were only an addition to the bottom of the boat, they are not integral and are about 30cm fore to aft at the top of the skeg. Thus they are very vulnerable if you are on a drying mooring.

If you pm your mail address I can send you a pic of intended bow mod.

BTW are you a member of the Catalac owners association??

<hr width=100% size=1>