Will Unite kill Felixstowe?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I am pleased that the Unions still have some sway to balance the increasing spread of the Right. This is all part of what should be the natural way of things

Bigplumbs

Visit site
He is misquoting indeed. Unions Add to the Quality of a Business if you listen to them and learn. It is when you don't listen that problems happen. This is what kills a business. Very basic rearly based on the simple truth that Management don't know everything and if they listen to workers and treat them right all will benefit........ I rather thought we had all moved out of the 19th Century but perhaps not all quite get it

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Move along, please, nothing to see here. The port of Felixstowe is owned by the Hong Kong conglomerate Huchison Whampoa, which is controlled by Li KaShing and his family and it has been better run and seen more investment from Huchison than it ever was or did in the hands of British owners like P&O.

Business is no longer booming and there isn’t a magic money tree in the ports business.

Unions in a business can often be a good thing (I’m a union member) and there have been disputes at Felixstowe before now.

Marmalade

Visit site
Unions seeking to get a fair deal for their members, ensure members' health and safety, ensure equal pay and conditions, inform businesses about the potential effect of their plans on the workforce, make sure that workers get the best deal possible out of changes to Ts&Cs etc. = good thing.

Unions seeking to tell management how to run a company or blocking innovation, blocking the introduction of new tech, withdrawing labour and damaging the business they themselves rely on for income = bad thing

IMHO

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Unions seeking to get a fair deal for their members, ensure members' health and safety, ensure equal pay and conditions, inform businesses about the potential effect of their plans on the workforce, make sure that workers get the best deal possible out of changes to Ts&Cs etc. = good thing.

Unions seeking to tell management how to run a company or blocking innovation, blocking the introduction of new tech, withdrawing labour and damaging the business they themselves rely on for income = bad thing

IMHO

That is a fair sensible post, however, what is "Unions seeking to get a fair deal for their members" is a matter of opinion.

i was in a union once, and I was a square peg in a round hole, and management wanted me out. The union stepped in and fought for me. A fellow worker advised me to find somewhere else to work because I was never going to get on where I was. It was good advive, and I left, which was much better than staying in an unsuitable job, which is what the union were doing

The morale is If you don't like your job and/or management, get another job and stop fighting management, which is what unions encourage workers to do

Last edited:

Old Harry

Visit site
That is a fair sensible post, however, what is "Unions seeking to get a fair deal for their members" is a matter of opinion.

i was in a union once, and I was a square peg in a round hole, and management wanted me out. The union stepped in and fought for me. A fellow worker advised me to find somewhere else to work because I was never going to get on where I was. It was good advive, and I left, which was much better than staying in an unsuitable job, which is what the union were doing

The morale is If you don't like your job and/or management, get another job and stop fighting management, which is what unions encourage workers to do
Ask say, the MBA what it does for it`s members

Other threads that may be of interest