Why single-handed?

SimonFa

Visit site
Last year I had planed my big trip with one crew. He dropped out late in the day, I had not got my head around solo sailing in time so never went. This year same trip (St Kilder or Barra) no crew, but fine with it as I have had time to plan relax, and get my head into the ways of solo sailing.
Similar problem. I was planning on going to the Isles of Scilly but my mate dropped out so didn't go. Next year I'm going even if he can't make it as by then I expect to have enough single handed sailing under my belt to take on the long trips and got the boat set up just as I want.

eddystone

Visit site
I don't know if anyone saw a article in Yachting Monthly a few months back, but it was someone expounding on his requirements for a perfect crew. Now I don't know if it was wholly or only partly tongue in cheek, but if it was half serious, he should be made to sail by himself as a matter of principle. I used to sail with a woman decades ago who wasn't half as OCD as the writer but she had crew regularly jumping ship en route, regardless of practical difficulties in getting home.

Birdseye

Visit site
I spent the last ten years skippering for CUYC with student crews around Europe. While I'm in no way bored of it, and love the company, it has become a straightforward routine. Two years ago I accidentally ended up single-handing a 30 foot Beneteau in confined waters in Scotland for several days. The boat wasn't set up for it. It was a tricky and exciting! It opened up a whole new dimension to sailing.

When I got back I hunted around and found Roger Taylor building Mingming II, the Jester Challenge, and then my own little boat. Soloable? Check. Oceans? Check. Rivers? Check. DIY? Check. (Cheap? Check!)

I've been lucky enough to travel the world, but in a way I've been disappointed that there isn't more of it. I can't go onwards to the moon. Soloing a small boat makes the world seem infinite!

I can relate to what you say albeit with nothing like your experience. I am relaxed about racing in winter in all weather on my own boat - with a 4 man crew. I get terribly apprehensive sailing (almost - SWMBO on board) on my own in summer. I guess my apprehension is your excitement.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Tell us more about it .

Were you lonely much ?
No, read a book and listened to R4 LW when the cricket WASN'T on.
What was your pattern of sleep ?
I don't sleep much normally anyway. After an ais scan, I lay down in the saloon about midnight (there's nothing to see outside) to rest my eyes, if I sleep, good. Feel motion of boat and boat noises, if anything changes, I'm up to sort it.
What did you eat mostly ?
Bought a rosted chicken, fresh veg and milk before leaving. I eat about 6, Chicken grilled sandwich, chicken and veg stewed in cupasoup, chicken and packet pasta and veg sauce. A glass of wine or cider. That lasted the trip, plus I always have Wheetabix for breakfast. Also have plenty of tinned meat, veg, rice, couscous etc for backup.
I don't starve :)

basic

Visit site
Were you lonely much ?
I don't sleep much normally anyway. After an ais scan, I lay down in the saloon about midnight (there's nothing to see outside) to rest my eyes, if I sleep, good. Feel motion of boat and boat noises, if anything changes, I'm up to sort it.
Bought a rosted chicken, fresh veg and milk before leaving. I eat about 6, Chicken grilled sandwich, chicken and veg stewed in cupasoup, chicken and packet pasta and veg sauce. A glass of wine or cider. That lasted the trip, plus I always have Wheetabix for breakfast. Also have plenty of tinned meat, veg, rice, couscous etc for backup.
Do you have radar?

dancrane

Visit site
Just done 74 hrs solo - Camaret to Gijon, now having a few bevvies before turning in. It's nice to please yourself what you do.

Fabulous, Nigel...well done. Who needs others on board when you have as much confidence in the vessel and in your own competence, and as much personal contentment, as that.

I still dream about such trips. I also dream of summer anchorages, the elegant gaff schooners laden with fragrant young ladies; and storming trimaran trips down-Channel with friends immune to mal de mer...but behind the fantasy, I maintain the belief that singlehanded passage-making even in a humble boat, is as rewarding a pass-time as I'll ever find. :encouragement:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Were you lonely much ?

Thanks for that.

I'm working up to a single handed 24 hr passage . Whether I ever get there is something else.

I like your ideas on food. As a single hander , I just take and eat what I like. Mostly summer fruit which is tasty, easy, and is an excellent
water source.

I do find that I need sleep though. I have a small radar which I would probably leave on.

Thanks for sharing.

Plum

Visit site
I try to keep passage times to less than 12 hours when solo as I find more than that I need some sleep to maintain a good level of alertness. It depends very much on how busy the sea area you sail in. Sailing coastal or crossing the southern north sea or the channel it is difficult to find sufficient unoccupied sea-room to get even a five minute nap.

Colin. www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Binman

Visit site
I haven't found any of my family or lady friend interested, I requested crew on our local street life web site for experienced crew got five replies but only one sounded promising, haven't yet tried him.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Thanks for that.

I'm working up to a single handed 24 hr passage . Whether I ever get there is something else.

I like your ideas on food. As a single hander , I just take and eat what I like. Mostly summer fruit which is tasty, easy, and is an excellent
water source.

I do find that I need sleep though. I have a small radar which I would probably leave on.

Thanks for sharing.
I find that a 24 hr trip is more hard work than a longer one, mainly because you are in more congested waters, ie Poole-St Malo, so you can't sleep.
When you get further West and offshore and keeping out of shipping routes, traffic thins out so you get more time to relax.
The secret with food is to take food that you like. If you don't normally have a cooked breakfast then why should you have one onboard
If you like FB pies, stock up with them!

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
Similar problem. I was planning on going to the Isles of Scilly but my mate dropped out so didn't go. Next year I'm going even if he can't make it as by then I expect to have enough single handed sailing under my belt to take on the long trips and got the boat set up just as I want.

I should have said I had done solo longish trips (St Vast to I Wight, Clyde to Tiree, and I.O.M and others) before. It was just this one that I dropped out off because of lack of mental preparation. Boat and food were all set up ready to go.

On the note of mental prep I find it is best to wind down and get in a relax state before setting off. The first trip I was rushed out of the marina and had no time to prepare. The second one I got my self all excited about the trip a head. Then took awhile to get into the routine as I was buzzing. Now I'm more calm about it.

GHA

Visit site
On the note of mental prep I find it is best to wind down and get in a relax state before setting off.

I much prefer leaving from an anchorage if possible. Have a quiet evening the night before stowing, passage plan, cooking & generally getting at one with the water :)

Then just lift the anchor next morning and get going.

Just a pity nearly all of the good anchorages in northern Europe have an expensive marina in them.

dancrane

Visit site
Interesting day's sailing today...after single-handing the Osprey a fortnight ago and coming in feeling unprecedentedly encouraged and closely in-touch with the boat's controls, I was confident that a moderate breeze in early August would be a great chance to show my mate, a complete novice, what fun a fast boat can be...

...but things weren't so good. The wind was wonderful, enough but not too much; the waves were big enough to be exciting but not dangerous; and the sun shone all day...

...but somehow, having worked out how to do almost all that is required when singlehanded, I absolutely could not explain the methods of working the boat, to my pal.

Admittedly the Osp is fairly demanding and responsive to crew-weight, whether the crew is unwary about making movements, or downright inert when movement is required...

...but I think my inclination to cope alone is caused equally by the pleasure of knowing I can, and by the ghastly messes which have resulted from relying on anyone else.

I s'pose it's different with a capable crew (assuming their availability is certain), and likewise different aboard a yacht, where guests aren't so badly in the way and can be treated as uninvolved "cargo". But however many non-sailing friends I may have aboard larger boats in future, I'll always resist letting them attempt to help me actually sail.