Why not a mast-head T.V. camera...?

Rohorn

Visit site
Hi.....After pull-out last season I was browsing up the mast admiring the view and thinking, once again, that it would be really great to have that view down at the wheel. A fixed camera, fairly wide angle lens, aimed down to show the foredeck and, say up to 50 metres ahead.
Often singlehanding, coming bows on into that space on the quay would be a real doddle, drop the stern anchor two lengths out, hold her precisely half a metre off the quay on tick-over, stroll forward to hand the mooring ropes. Edging into a rocky cove, finding that little patch of sand to drop the hook into. Seeing where that guy fishing and waving his arms about has really got his nets strung out. Simply giving an overview when one does have crew on the foredeck.
Easy enough to fix, just wire the camera into the navigation lights. Many now have wireless links back to a small flat screen receiver. Supermarket burglar alarm technology. Not at all expensive.
Why shouldn't I do it?
Cheers....R

lockwood

www.craiglockwood.co.uk
If you want it, I suppose its possible.... things to consider:

1. Battery drain, those wireless cameras can be quite heavy on the juice when they are transmitting.

2. Image quality, unless you go for an expensive camera, you will probabl get a CMOS cam, quality is fair at best.

3. Weathering - the camera will need to be water proofed and there is also the risk of condesnation on the lens.

Like I say, it is possible - but perhaps you have too much money to burn, if so drop me a line, I can think of plenty of ways to burn money!

Rohorn

Visit site
Hi...damn, that was quick! Nice looking bit of kit to, weatherproof and all. One would want to see the field of view from 12 metres up. One would use it mostly when the motors are running so I don't see battery drain as a problem. Wonder how much a little colour screen would cost and where from?
Cheers....R

A

Anonymous

I've just bought an underwater camera via Ebay for around £50 which will allow me to inspect fouling, prop, anodes, etc. I'm going to strap it onto a pole (boathook) with a cable tie when I need to use it - I suppose I could stick it up in the air instead! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jimboaw

Visit site
Trust a LadyinBed to have a good idea. However, the problem that would be expensive to solve is image stabilisation. The slightest ripple is going to make watching your monitor gut wrenching. That said, not a bad idea at all.