Why is the local diesle engineer an incompetent cluster ****

scotty123

Visit site
And why dont I learn.....

Last year not long after buying the boat I set the local guy on to do bleed the fuel system on my 40yr old Volvo. In the process he snapped a terminal of the back of the starter motor but left me instructions on where to place the wire to start the engine.
I had to solder the cable back on.

Because I'm a gluten for punishment I engaged him again this summer when I had an over heating issue and lots of steam coming from the exhaust.

He removed the exhaust elbow and told me to clean and refit. This didn't improve the situation so he set about installing an expensive new raw water pump this didn't fix the problem and he left me too it not before leaning on my sprayhood and bending the frame and pouring an engine descaler down my sink and badly staining it.

After some internetting and tips here i back flushed the sea cocks and changed the thermostat and hey presto shes pumping water great and no steam.

I take her out for the weekend and find the bilge full of water. On close inspection of the raw water pump I see 2 of the 3 clamps have been broken and the pump is pumping sea water into the bilge.

I emailed him, got ignored. I rang and left voicemails , got ignored. Finally I receive a text saying hes been back down the boat and theres no leaks and suggests it's a rainwater leak from the cockpit??!

Am I wrong in thinking a marine diesle engineer should of had this sorted? The only benefit from this whole experience is that I've become alot more familiar with the engine and alot more confident working on it.

Rant over - dont use my 'local' guy

As a "gluten for punishment", I'd expect you to 'use your own loaf'.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
sod him!

i want to know who, so i dont run the risk of damage to my engine by using them without knowing they can have bad days that give bad days to their customers

So learn to do it yourself, most existing boat engines are old technology and simple to service and repair. Plant fitters and car mechanics are better qualified than so-called marine engineers to work on them.

Unfortunately though the future won't be so simple with common rail and electronic controls, needing test equipment much like modern cars.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
What angers me is that he as the audacity to call himself and engineer.

His is a technichim and a c**p one at that.

An Engineer should accountants and lawyers should be a member of some professional institution.

maxi77

Visit site
What angers me is that he as the audacity to call himself and engineer.

His is a technichim and a c**p one at that.

An Engineer should accountants and lawyers should be a member of some professional institution.

I would have suggested mechanic, technician seems to allude to a skill level apparently not demonstrated here

Aja

Visit site
Not just marine engineers either. I've got two threads on the go in The Lounge at the moment about auto engineers and some of the tales on there would make your hair curl. :ambivalence:

Richard

...pretty sure you're wrong there :cool:

Donald

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I would have suggested mechanic, technician seems to allude to a skill level apparently not demonstrated here

Many moons ago, I served an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic. Still lots I do to service my own cars and strip and rebuild old engines but, when it comes to modern electronics and engine management, I'm stumped. So, am I still a mechanic or, in modern terms a vehicle technician? Unfortunately, there is no professional qualification so anyone can call themselves what they want, regardless of how outdated their knowledge.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
When I worked as an Automotive T&D Engineer, about seventeen years ago, we charged £1000/hour...

We did have a few million pounds worth of toys to play with though.

Just being a Mechanical Engineer however does not necessarily mean that you know how to identify and repair faults in primitive elderly boat engines. We would normally have passed that sort of stuff to a Technician, many of whom were truly gifted in their art, but none of them would have called themselves engineers!

maxi77

Visit site
Many moons ago, I served an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic. Still lots I do to service my own cars and strip and rebuild old engines but, when it comes to modern electronics and engine management, I'm stumped. So, am I still a mechanic or, in modern terms a vehicle technician? Unfortunately, there is no professional qualification so anyone can call themselves what they want, regardless of how outdated their knowledge.

My brother in law is a retired garage foreman and I still have my car serviced by one of his ex apprentices. When I worked I managed chartered engineers and in many other countries it would be an offence for some one who was not a chartered engineer to describe himself as an engineer. Part of is a result f the fashion which started a few decades ago of giving people fancy titles, occupational grade inflation

Uricanejack

Visit site
I occasionally get my local guy to work on my engine.
He is a nice chap. He might show up when he says he will. He might not. Island life.
Something usually goes wrong. He is always quite nice about it.
The main reason I hire him. He is local he is nice and he is willing to crawl into the tiny spaces of my boat to reach bits I don’t want to.
He was nice enough to show me how to bleed my fuel system, after I got it wrong.
Once I went to meet him at the boat after lunch. All I found was blood stains in the cockpit.
He showed up later with a big bandage on his nose which he it with a grinder. I never did figure out why or how.

He is a nice helpful older local guy. Mostly does good work. Occasionally things don’t go according to plan.
When they don’t, he sorts it.

My point of view. Finding some one willing to work on your sail boat engine isn’t easy.

As for engineers, I know lots of them, none of them like working on boats.