Why have the Big 3 abandoned the "ordinary" man

D

Deleted User YDKXO

there are no great memories and fun from not using it and getting £whatever more at resale because it has never been used.
Excellent thoughts but for many people there is the satisfaction to be had from the pride of owning something that is in top condition. I have to admit to having been a bit anal about things getting used and abused on my boat in the past but I've learnt to keep my mouth shut to keep the peace, knowing that there's not much a good yard can't make as good as new over the winter;)

neale

Visit site
Makes sense, but sadly think you are the exception, not the norm!!

Not in my experience. Everyone I know uses their boat like they use their home. Apart from the occasional request to remove shoes, which is reasonable given the environment, I don't think I have ever come across such a precious owner. I am sure they exists, as per examples on this thread, but I would say they are the exception, not the other way around.

ari

Visit site
Perhaps it's just Oldgit that everyone ushers ashore to use the marina toilets and showers and he just assumes that the same applies to everyone else! :D

It does seem rather odd behaviour that he's claiming 'everyone' does.

oldgit

Visit site
Perhaps it's just Oldgit that everyone ushers ashore to use the marina toilets and showers and he just assumes that the same applies to everyone else! :D

It does seem rather odd behaviour that he's claiming 'everyone' does.

Everyone on my boat is welcome to use all the available onboard facilities....
...just please empty the bucket each time you use it and bring your own little squares of the Sun newspaper as my stocks of the Daily HateMail are running low..:)

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Yup, 2 touchscreen Meiles in a stack :encouragement::encouragement:
b5201313AprilIpswich9.jpg

There's you problem mate. Them Meile's are proper pony. You 'av to keep pullin the feckers apart every 2 minutes to try and keep em clean.

What you need is pair of LG self cleaners.

Magic.

Henry :)

benjenbav

Visit site
Whilst I am aware of lots of boats which are properly used, I think there is quite an expectation that fittings won't get used on many boats which won't exit the marina very often either. So, why can't people not use much more basic fittings? Truly this must be a case of selling the dream.

oldgit

Visit site
If only your boat had outdrives. With all the money saved on fuel you could afford proper toilet paper :D

My vast collection of newspaper was as a result of the 8 years worth of needing something to do while waiting for the outdrives to be fixed and the the resulting poverty ensuring that proper bog paper was beyond my financial reach.
The pile is now becoming depleted due to the reliability of my present wonderful simple and basic method of propulsion. :).OG

ari

Visit site
I have spoken to numerous sales and marina-folk who have indicated that "you wouldn't believe" how many boats rarely leave their home berths.

Oh I'm sure you're right, but what I can't believe is that there is the 'expectation' you suggest that this is how boats will be used. Perhaps I'm naive, but I just don't see someone committing to a six figure purchase with five figure running costs saying "of course my expectation is that we'll never actually use it, we'll just leave it sitting in the marina burning up thousands and thousands of pounds each year for no obvious benefit".

That seems about as likely to me as Oldgit's legions of boat owners and their guests flitting ghostlike silently to and from the marina facilities in their nightwear throughout the long night, banished from the boat's bog like damned souls. :D

But even if you're right, and that is the case, I'm still rather confused as to why you think 'much more basic fittings' would solve that problem?

"We didn't use the old boat with it's vacuum flush toilets and spacious showers, but since I bought one with an old bucket in the bog and no hot water the wife can't get enough of it!"

I'm not convinced, if I'm honest... :)

benjenbav

Visit site
I don't think I suggested a more basic fit out. I might have, but have forgotten if I did! The suggestion I intended to make was that boats are quite considerably about dreams.

We're all sword boat captains steaming out to the Grand Banks for adventure and need to look the part even when we're actually planning to do nothing more adventurous than tie up at the Folly for a pub lunch.

So it's easy to sell me the latest radar, AIS, updated plotter, glass bridge etc even if I could do the same looking out of the window.

One day I'm going to need that stuff. Even if all I do is polish the glass and stare out to sea with a faraway look in my eyes.

ari

Visit site
I was referring to this.

Whilst I am aware of lots of boats which are properly used, I think there is quite an expectation that fittings won't get used on many boats which won't exit the marina very often either. So, why can't people not use much more basic fittings? Truly this must be a case of selling the dream.

I'm probably being a bit thick, but I'm not really following the logic...

benjenbav

Visit site
I was referring to this.

I'm probably being a bit thick, but I'm not really following the logic...

Just trying to suggest that everyone wants all-singing/dancing stuff whether they need it or not rather than that it would literally be a good idea for people to want something more basic.