why dateslip is no good

tcm

Visit site
With dateslip on, all the recently-added-to posts are at the top. This is all v convenient, say the pro-dateslippies.

But, I am here to tell you that it is no good. The reason that it is a pile of rubbish for the very same reason.

Dateslip is like organising a supermarket with all the eggs, cornflakes, milk, pot noodles and whatever are the current most common purchases right next to the checkout. If there's some new stuff, of special interest to an individual or other, then that'll be somewhere else. Supermarkety peeps will tell you that this is not how to do it, but to make it a bit more spread out so that oho you find a few more new things. Worse, dateslip actually organsies the entire board in sequence of how popular a thread is. So, the further back in the shop you go, the more ho hum one realises that the thread/product is, and the more unlikely a shopper is to buy, or a new poster is likely to delve.

Net result of dateslip is that there less traffic across a wide number of threads- the "action" is inside just a handful of threads.

Before, the action was across all threads, and threads in between the "currently most popular" ones got more of a look-in. Art least, they stayed current for a whole day, instead of being hurled down to the bottom within an hour.

imho.

lanason

Visit site
Matts - Save it for the vote

There will now be 5 (Five) threads :-

1) Rules and instructions
2) The case FOR
3) The case AGAINST
4) The Vote FOR
5) The Vote AGAINST

Until then ........

Adrian

Any jobs going ??

tcm

Visit site
...but the votes/case will slip around!

they'll be all jumbled up! They won't stay nicely together.

So people wil have to wade in and vote/ yak to keep those threads alive.

And then, nothing will happen on the blimmin bb except the discussion bout the bb -so it will be just like stupid mayour london/labour where all the action is about the politics, not the issues which hereabout shd be boaty related, and in london shd be diggin hioles for new tubes, not new building for mayor to flog off for flats when the next tories get in.

I think it very noticeable that since dateslipping, still no nice new london tube, masive problems with corporate america, England out of world cup, stock market fallen to record lows, massive slump begins, gloom and doom, crap weather, and all directly sort-of kim hollamby's fault with dateslipping!

Canboria

Visit site
Did I miss the vote to make Shirley sorry Adrian in charge of the vote rigging.

Someone please give him a job.

Oh and by the way

Turn it off

andyball

Visit site
Agreed: turn b*** dateslip off......if I want to see just recently active threads, there's a same day,2-day,1 week (etc etc) facility in the user options.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Hows about if everybody refrains from even mentioning dateslipping for a whole week so's we can see how well it works when it's not being artificially affected by threads about dateslipping itself?
Can you all resist the temptation and humour little old me by participating in this little social experiment? If you can this thread will now gradually fall away and let the real issues show the merit or otherwise of dateslip for real.
Ta very much (but I'm not holding my breath......)

MoBoChat Images and Profile Pics at www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/mobochat

tcm

Visit site
and don\'t mention the war...

I see your point. But it can't be much of a system if its ability to work properly is hindrered by talking about it, can it? This is like er not mentioning bad things out of the NHS, even though everyone who uses the NHS eventually drops dead.

Meanwhile, critical mass of BB declines, mere handful of lurkers, even when poor weather etc etc.

Canboria

Visit site
Re: and don\'t mention the war...

Boatone, look what you have done, you have single handed put this thread at the top twice all on your own, keep up the good work.

Now how do I humour him, I know, don't post on this thread again, don't post on this thread again, right I think I have got it now.

Derek