Who's on the East coast?

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Who\'s on the East coast?

I'm in a very happy mood today, as my boat arrived back from Denmark on a trailer (Well I'm happy till I think about how much it cost!). I'm now based at Titchmash marina, Walton, and was wondering who else from the forum's based around there?

If you spot me, come and say hello- I've always got a few beers tucked away. My boat's a tatty looking Westerly GK24 with the awful name of 'Samurai'. Having spent the last few years in the tideless Baltic, and before that sailing in the West country, where at least the waters deep, I'll be easy to spot- I'll be the worried looking one clutching a dog eared copy of the tide tables and a lead line.

As I don't know the area at all, maybe some of you can let me know which places are worth visiting, and which should be avoided at all costs? And where are the best 'secret' ancorages?

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Who\'s on the East coast?

all you need to know about east coast is contained in the art of coarse sailing by michael green
well maybe not but it is a cracking read

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

chris505

Visit site

Hi

Pop up the Deben to Woodbridge, lovely river with somewhere to park if you look hard enough.

Good sailing
Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

I'm on the Deben. Methersgate reach no 14. Feel free to raft alongside - it's a big enough mooring - if you can't find a spare buoy.

Now - you draw about the same as me - 5ft?

Walton Backwaters itself has nice places - careful echosounding and local knowledge will show you where anchoring is possible.

The Stour is a surprisingly lovely river and little visited - Erwarton and Wrabness both nice.

The Orwell is the loveliest river but very crowded

The Deben is nice and the bar is very easy this year.

The Ore/Alde has a slightly harder bar but is a lovely river.

Brightlingsea is now a very nice place.

Pyefleet anchorage

West Mersea - long pull in from the anchorage.

Osea Island - nothing there but nice.

Maldon - no water buy you can lock into Heybridge Basin over a tide

Crouch is a nice river and less busy than it was.

NB the main Admiralty Chart Agents for the area are Small Craft Deliveries at Quay Street, Woodbridge - lovely people and every book under the sun in stock.

You need a copy of YM's East Coast Rivers, edited by Janet Harber.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site

Nothing more to add to Mirelles post - you'll love it!

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Neil_M

home.btconnect.com

Welcome to a beautiful part of the coast. Most of it has been said already but FWIW my favourite quiet spots are - just inside the Butley River (off Orford River), Iken Cliff on the Alde (shallow & tortuous!), Hamford Water, the Rocks on the Deben (but not summer weekends...), various spots up the Stour - there's lots to choose from though.

If you get up the Deben I'm moored off Waldringfield (Dufour 30 - 'Morzen') - good shelter, all tide landing on the beach & decent pint of Adnams at the Maybush!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mudplugger

Visit site

As long as you dont mind the mud,which tends to have the consistency of c--p and a similar odour youll find the east coast from Lowestoft to Ramsgate full of places to go, sights to see, Clubs, Marinas and hostelries with a superb range of falling down water. However East Coast Rivers is a definate yes! and close attention to tide tables is the price required. Against that we are still relatively civilised when it comes to mooring charges, the number of boats out on the water and in comparison with our S.C compatriots exceeding restrained when it comes to Radio Checks and Pot markers.....and the locals speak a recognisable Language that lacks the gaelic input. The advantage of all those sand banks that they want to put pretty windmills, on is they do keep the sea down, when the winds onshore

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Sacrilege

I thought all GK24's were obliged to use "GK" in their name. You're just down the road from Arthur Ransome's "Secret Water" - see Simon Croft's article in the current YM. If you make it to Essex, Tollesbury is very friendly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

Nothing at all, except that I have not been to either, lately, so could not comment from recent personal experience. Both were fine places when I last visited them!

<hr width=100% size=1>

celandine

Visit site

If you come south to the Medway, Stangate Creek is an excellent safe, free anchorage. For some reason most visitors to the Medway seem to gravitate towards Qeenborough - to my mind a rather over-crowded and money-grabbing sort of place, but there is a pub there.

Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>

romany123

Visit site

Hi Jacket
I have a mooring buoy in the backwaters near stone point We have just bought a sadler 34 which we sailed back from guernsey last week Its a great place to sail from welcome to our neck of the woods....you have just been nominated as mud hopper of the week. Shame I diddend read this earlier in the day, I could have had a beer with you.
Feel free to call me

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Re: Sacrilege

I don't know where you are based JohnM, but I think that you must be talking about a different Mersea, there is always water here, I know, I live here and, my house overlooks the moorings

David of West Mersea (Where there is always water)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

There are moorings at the Leavings in Tollesbury that don't dry just as - if you row right out from Mersea - there are moorings which don't dry. But most semi dry. You are comparing apples and oranges.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ghostwriter

Visit site

"You need a copy of YM's East Coast Rivers, edited by Janet Harber" but don't believe it too much...on entering Tollesbury it says something like portside sticks , that's what we did , and next the keel was getting shitty brown /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif afterwards we took them on the other side and that was o.k. , so maybe this is a cunning plan to scare off any furriners ??? or maybe , just maybe the eastcoast is all the same as everywhere else , but just opposite ?? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidofMersea

Visit site

Sorry JohnM you are quite wrong - MOST mooorings in West Mersea don't dry at all. I am not sure what semi dry is - a mooring either dries or it does not dry.

It is true that the Leavings don't dry, but as a percentage of boats in Tollesbury, it is not many

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site

Water may be fundamental to sailing, but mud is fundamental to the East Coast experience. Ghostwriter was so impressed by the Tollesbury Mud Theme Park that he tried to take a mudbank home (attached to his keel) as a souvenir.

<hr width=100% size=1>