Who is going to be first to see a Norsepowered ship?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It's called a Flettner rotor. Nowhere near as efficient as a wing sail upwind but good in ideal wind directions. They have been around since the 1920s.

Last edited:

davidaprice

Visit site
Well I win this one, Viking Grace had a Norsepower Flettner motor from 2018 to 2021, and we often saw her passing us on her Stockholm - Turku route as it passes through the most popular Finnish summer cruising grounds.

Although Viking Grace's later and slightly larger sister ship Viking Glory was also built ready to take a Flettner motor, from the press release when Viking Grace's Flettner motor was removed (during routine maintenance) it sounds like the trial ended and they felt it still needed further development.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Mtoring cone? what motoring cone?
They might hoist the RYA examiner aloft by the topping lift.
So that his screams can penetrate further through the night or the fog.
Sorry but the pedant in me can’t let this go, in reduced visibility you drop the motoring cone and use the steaming light, in addition to the hoisted examiner providing the correct sound signals

Halo

Visit site
A commercial vessel (the Estraden I think) went backwards and forwards between Tees and Netherlands every day for years using those rotating sails. Not seen it for a while but seemed to be ok until recently

westhinder

Visit site
One of the two recently installed rotors on roro vessel Delphine broke off, in Zeebrugge this morning. Info still sketchy. As far as I’m aware, it wasn’t particularly windy

Last edited: