Who can tell me which aerial?????

crossbones

Visit site
Navtex antenna.

If your navtex is pre 2000 then it is a single frequency receiver and you should use the 518 antenna. All nasa's newer two frequency receivers have a label on the back that says " use series 2 antenna". Yours is of the older type so the series 2 is not appropriate.

tel1

Visit site
HMMM

Well, im unsure of age as the previous owner did not keep any books or receipts. But the boat is a 1994 model and alot of gear was bought for it before 2000. I emailed nasa with a picture and they said the series two, however i bought one and i got very little messages and what messages i did get were partially corupted. The aerial that used to be on there was a like a vhf aerial, Not the modern inclosed ones. Im only replacing it as in rough weather the aerial swung into my wind genny, and, well you can guess the rest!

does that help??

earlybird

Visit site
I owned one of the early NASA Target Navtex receivers, before the days of 490 kHz transmissions, so it was 518 kHz only. Guessing around the late nineties. It had a whip aerial.
When 490 kHz commenced, all I had to do to receive this was to buy a dual frequency aerial.
The aerial had 2 downleads, merging into one via a changeover switch, this lead plugging into the set's aerial socket. No mods to the set.
Worked fine.
I'd go for the dual band aerial to get the 2 channels, but perhaps check with NASA first. I've found them very helpful both by 'phone and e-mail.

tel1

Visit site
Nasa

just gave them a ring.

Sounds like i ordered the wrong one and its the 518khz i need. They said my order could be changed as both aerials are the same price. Just keeping an eye out for the postman now!

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
Any post about aerials will inevitably produce at least 3 alternative answers immediately followed by a verbal punch up between the protagonists and their various supporters.

In this of course the original poster is left even more confused than when he posted.

Perhaps give NASA a ring - they'll know.