Whisker Pole control lines

Cdicko

Visit site
Hi, after a bit of info on flying the Genoa / jib down wind on the pole. (im not interested on info on spinnakers)

what's the opinion on an after guy? who has one or who uses the sheet as the after guy. I have a whisker pole with topping lift and fore guy and after guy but just wondered what others do to their set up and why? Please this is just about the head sail not spinnaker flying.

thanks in advance.

dunedin

Visit site
Your setup controlling the pole with three ropes (uphaul and both fore and after guy/downhaul) is ideal. Allows the pole to be set before unfurling the genoa, and can reef or gybe the genoa without needing to go in deck to touch the pole. Perfect.
Due to where our jib cars are (we’ll forward and inboard), we also tend to add an extra sheet led to the mid cleat as a better sheeting angle.

Cdicko

Visit site
I use an after guy.

Then, if necessary, I can release the sheet leaving the pole rigged.

Thanks for that, from my in experience of using the pole and only having it a few weeks, that is the only reason I can see of needing the after guy, im sure someone will let me know if theres another reason. Cheers Chris

Cdicko

Visit site
Your setup controlling the pole with three ropes (uphaul and both fore and after guy/downhaul) is ideal. Allows the pole to be set before unfurling the genoa, and can reef or gybe the genoa without needing to go in deck to touch the pole. Perfect.
Due to where our jib cars are (we’ll forward and inboard), we also tend to add an extra sheet led to the mid cleat as a better sheeting angle.

good idea with the sheet, I might add that too, my car is forward too

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Thanks for that, from my in experience of using the pole and only having it a few weeks, that is the only reason I can see of needing the after guy, im sure someone will let me know if theres another reason. Cheers Chris

It may be the only reason but it’s certainly a convincing one. Being able to furl and unfurl foresail with the pole out is wonderful. We always rig both guys, as well as the topping lift.

Cdicko

Visit site
It may be the only reason but it’s certainly a convincing one. Being able to furl and unfurl foresail with the pole out is wonderful. We always rig both guys, as well as the topping lift.
thanks for that. quick question........ do you have the sheet in the jaw with the jaw facing up or down? I have mine facing down at the moment with the idea the headsail sheet would fall away if needed.

oldbloke

Visit site
It probably depends on how big your boats, and how long you are setting it for. I attach mine to a small loop on the clew with the jib furled , then pull the pole back as the jib unfurls. I find this preve to all sorts of excitement, especially if short handed. I think it is unlikely that the size of the jib v the position of the cars means it is essential to add another sheet ,but I can see it would give better lead. On the otherhand if you are not using a pole downhaul you would be better with the normal sheeting position.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
I just use a forward downhaul to the foredeck spring cleat, the sail sheet stops any forward movement.
I'm not bothered if the pole occasionally dips but I don't want it to rise or arc aft.
I hook the pole onto a rope quoit attached to the sail clew rather than the sheet.

Cdicko

Visit site
I just use a forward downhaul to the foredeck spring cleat, the sail sheet stops any forward movement.
I'm not bothered if the pole occasionally dips but I don't want it to rise or arc aft.
I hook the pole onto a rope quoit attached to the sail clew rather than the sheet.
Interesting listing to other peoples preferred methods. Thanks

davidmh

Visit site
I use both Fore and aft Guy and a topping lift, the pole is then fixed. On the aft guy I attach a snatch block to the forward end of the guy rope with a bowline, the into the jaws, facing up with the block forward, the bowline acts as a stopper. I can then slip the genoa sheet into the snatch block easily and haul it out the the end of the spinnaker. there is also less friction on the genoa sheet. It works for me single handed. as others have said the ability to roll and unroll the genoa straight to the pole end is great, I soon got used to the setting the pole position before setting the sail so it only needs a little tweaking at my leisure to get a perfect set. 27ft long keel boat.
David MH

dunedin

Visit site
Can you fully furl and /or gybe the genoa without going on deck with your system? These are the typical benefits of the three point pole fixing.

dunedin

Visit site
……I think it is unlikely that the size of the jib v the position of the cars means it is essential to add another sheet ,but I can see it would give better lead. …….
Probably not on an older boat with genoa tracks along the gunwales - but separate sheet very helpful on a modern boat with genoa tracks well inboard, or indeed on the coachroof, to aid upwind pointing ability.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Can you fully furl and /or gybe the genoa without going on deck with your system? These are the typical benefits of the three point pole fixing.
No I can't.
I pole out my Genoa on a broad reach or running on twin headsails, both poled out sans main, so never had cause to furl or gybe.
If I was going to gybe from one broad reach to another I would unhook my pole first, but so far I've never needed to make that sort of course alteration.
As I have to go forward to rig the pole, I see no issue in going forward to unhook the pole, but I might have if I had lots of lines attached to it 😀

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Similar experience to MontyMariner.

If the pole is stored vertically on the mast the after guy is not needed as it is easy to dip the pole end, please from genoa sheet and hoist up the mast and store. If you have to rig up and down the pole from deck, then the after guy stabilises the pole while other things are done. My genoa sheet acts as the aft guy and as I furl the pole will move forward and on occasion has slid back aft to the length of the fore guy. There is no need for me to use an aft guy. If running for along time with a pole, I rig the lazy sheet to the windward side out side the stanchions to eliminate rubbing on the guardrail. I have twin turning blocks at the sheet winch to make this easy.

But aft guy is not needed on my boat. Maybe other styles of boat needs the aft guy.

IanCC

Visit site
Hi, after a bit of info on flying the Genoa / jib down wind on the pole. (im not interested on info on spinnakers)

what's the opinion on an after guy? who has one or who uses the sheet as the after guy. I have a whisker pole with topping lift and fore guy and after guy but just wondered what others do to their set up and why? Please this is just about the head sail not spinnaker flying.

thanks in advance.
Topping lift, fore guy, aft guy. Plus long extra sheet run through snatch block at end of pole back to cockpit. So can just gybe gib across quickly if needed. My ordinary sheets just aren't long enough.

dunedin

Visit site
No I can't.
I pole out my Genoa on a broad reach or running on twin headsails, both poled out sans main, so never had cause to furl or gybe.
If I was going to gybe from one broad reach to another I would unhook my pole first, but so far I've never needed to make that sort of course alteration.
As I have to go forward to rig the pole, I see no issue in going forward to unhook the pole, but I might have if I had lots of lines attached to it 😀
Neve had to gybe to avoid another vessel, or wind change? You must be very lucky.

When sailing in the dark in particular, it is a major benefit to be able to furl or gybe without leaving the cockpit. Doing an Atlantic crossing we had a wind change and sailed for 12 hours on a reach, with the pole still held safely out the other side.

Minerva

Visit site
I use both Fore and aft Guy and a topping lift, the pole is then fixed. On the aft guy I attach a snatch block to the forward end of the guy rope with a bowline, the into the jaws, facing up with the block forward, the bowline acts as a stopper. I can then slip the genoa sheet into the snatch block easily and haul it out the the end of the spinnaker. there is also less friction on the genoa sheet. It works for me single handed. as others have said the ability to roll and unroll the genoa straight to the pole end is great, I soon got used to the setting the pole position before setting the sail so it only needs a little tweaking at my leisure to get a perfect set. 27ft long keel boat.
David MH
Now that is a a good tip. Thanks, think I'll steal that!

gaylord694

Visit site

thanks in advance.
What about a spinnaker downwind