which grade

tyce

Visit site
just about to start keying my hull for coating with epoxy, and wondering if any one can tell me which grade of emery to use, and any dos and donts.
thanks in anticipation

<hr width=100% size=1>

Marsupial

Visit site
what material is hull? steel, grp, wood, ferro, are you going to be using a machine or elbow grease to prepare thye surface? what is the finish on the hull at the moment? anti foul, paint, barnacles?

It would help a bit

<hr width=100% size=1>

dralex

Visit site
Definately Caster sugar- the jack of all trades sugar. Granulated is just too crunchy and icing sugar- well, it makes icing. Brown sugar always ends up as one lump for which you need a cold chisel, and it always makes tea taste like treacle. Raw cane sugar is great in Thai cooking, but will take far too long to disolve in tea.

Hope this answers your question.

Alex

<hr width=100% size=1>Just enjoy it.

richardabeattie

Visit site
Could we not have a convention that posts have titles which tell the reader what they are about? 'Which grade' could refer to A level results!

<hr width=100% size=1>

dralex

Visit site
That was discussed last week at length and the opinion was that titles should be more self explanatory-sorry about the last very Scuttlebutt reply- forgot I was on PBO.

<hr width=100% size=1>Just enjoy it.

tyce

Visit site
bloody hell, you ask a sensible question and get critisism, please dont reply unless you have something of some use to say, agree i could of been more descriptive with the title, but im just trying to get as many people as poss to look.
there that should upset a few people , let the comments roll.
p.s hull is g.rp. and all antifoul is of, thanks to those who put a reply.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Appleyard

Visit site
Hope you dont mind me adding my pennyworth..Tyce,but whatever you do make sure you wear a decent dustmask...not a cheapie. I am speaking from bitter experience.

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
Only one person has actually suggested a grade for the paper, but I would think 80 is way too coarse. 180 or perhaps 240 I would have thought. Why not buy a mixed pack to start with and decide for yourself

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>Ne te confundant illegitimi.</font color=purple>

tyce

Visit site
yep agree about the 80 i tried it and it did seem abit harsh hence my quetion good idea with the multi pack

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
International Paints have released a promotional CD (free) which should be available in your local swindlery. There is a very informative section on epoxy, surface prep etc amongst other things - might be worth picking up a copy.

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif

Clive

Visit site
I stripped off all the old antifouling on my boat last year for the same reason as yours. "Speed".

I used pots & pots of antifouling stripper, followed by wet & Dry 80 grit used with running water, very wet but keeps the paper from clogging. if you can not use running water, use a sponge and bucket with some soap toi keep the paper free.

I followed up with two coats of gel sheild and then 3 coats of micron extra.

We we fast after that!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Clive

tcm

Visit site
Re: aha 80 grade

yep. 80 grade gives a key. Others would tend to clog more, and start polishing rather than scratching - which is what's needed for a true key. imho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

macd

Visit site
I'd say it depends to some extent on what type of sander you'd be using. Random orbital is quite gentle, so 80 grit would be fine, but perhaps too coarse with an ordinary rotary or belt sander. Unless, of course you're using a five-fingered sander...

<hr width=100% size=1>