Poignard

Visit site
My large collection of boathooks comprises:

- long conventional one,
- short conventional one
- Davey Grabit
- St Vaast hook [a giant carbine hook on a slide]
- Simpson- Lawrence Boat-Crook

My favourite is the Boat-Crook. Very handy for picking up moorings [especially other people's], but I don't think they make them any more.

I once had a rubbishy telescopic aluminium thing that soon broke. It's also useful to look out for one of those big heavy ones with a sharp galvanised iron spike, they are the only kind that will dig into gelcoat without skidding.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Try a wooden one, it will float next time /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, I used a Boat Crook for many years without any problems....It's the shepherd's crook style, with a curved metal bar which can collect most things be they lines, buoys or sheep* I don't know where you can get them though

*OK, "sheep" might not be true, but the boat crook is jolly good.

Evadne

Visit site
I bought a traditional hook from a chandlery and a 6' mahogany pole (rake handle or similar) from a hardware shop. Aluminium poles are great if you need a really long pole, but they bend too easily for my liking and are only good for grabbing and pulling. We also have a short one for grabbing the mooring, a plastic hook on a shortened broom handle and the first mate uses a deck broom if we need to fend off any other boats.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Another boat hook over the side!

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep buying the cheap ones then.

We found one a couple of weeks ago floating around the bottom of a ladder in porthmadog, I laid it on the wall in view of the river, it was gone by the next morning, I am guessing cynically, not by the rightful owner..

I have two telescopic hooks, one a cheapy from the jumble, still ok after 4 years.. and a replacement to the other cheapy which snapped. The newest one was bought at the chandler and is plastimo, I have to say, for the extra £10 the plastimo is a much better tool, the head is far stronger, the lock much easier to operate.

I have a nice brass head in the shed waiting for me to buy a pole, but I am so used to using the lightweight ally poles I am not sure I will ever go back to the old type.

S

Skyva_2

I went the same way, but with an ash pole from an agricultural supplier - very cheap for lots of stuff.

I asked how long the order would be and he said,' Oh, about 6 feet...!

We also have a Moorfast which SWMBO finds very easy to use on a mooring ring.

NPMR

Visit site
Once had a beautiful mahogany handled, brass ended boat hook.

A thing of beauty - varnished and shined to perfection. An absolute treasure.

SWBO flung it overboard the very first time we ever used it.

Nuff said? We have a cheap allie pole now. plastic end.

Refueler

Visit site
i have two beauties ..... wood, varnished, excellent hook / prod ends ... with Turks Heads on handles. They stay out of sight !! One has a fancy bit to pass a rope through a ring - 4 quid plastic job .. works a treat.
For use - I have a grotty old job that stays up on deck ... been there years ! Consists of cheapest plastic 'hook' end on longest broom handle I could find ... Never varnished it ... just left it to weather down and look grotty .. surely no-one would want to pich it ?

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
We've got one that's about 7ft long made of aluminium but it seems to be smaller diameter, thicker wall than the current batch. We've managed to get a banana bend in it before but never kinked it. The hooks are also not very pronounced so if we manage to hook the pickup line, but screw it up and can't stop the boat, we can unhook it before it's dragged out of our hands. No idea where it comes from. We've also got a couple of 'found' hooks that live behind the dodgers for picking up hats/fenders/boathooks etc dropped by other boats, a surprisingly plentiful source in the Solent.