Which anchor chain?

muchy_

Visit site
Hi all, I'm about to get some anchor chain for my 30' 5 ton boat and I want about 50 metres of it. Now, if I go for 8mm that wieghs 70kg or I could go for 6mm which wieghs half as much (and cost half as well).
My question is, would 6mm chain be ok for this boat? The chain has a 1500kg breaking strain and I cant see my boat putting that much pull on it even in very windy conditions).
Wadaya think?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
The normal method for ensuring that the weight is not excessive is to go for a mix of chain and rope (preferably octoplait) I have 30m but that is because I have a windlass and in my normal anchoring depth the chain is sufficient. I also have 45m of 16mm octoplait. The size, weight length and type of cable depends as much on where you will be using your boat as any other factor. The weight of anchor is also another variable. I assume that you do not have a windlass so uncalibrated short-link chain is acceptable (and also cheaper). Conventional wisdom would recommend 10kg delta or 7.5 kg Bruce plus 10-20m of 8mm chain and abt 30m of octoplait , however my gear is heavier than that. Buy the chain direct from the manufacturer, and the octoplait from ebay (frequently for sale) and you will get the best prices. visit Jimmy Green web site for a guide on splicing plait to chain.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
Stick with the recommended 8mm. If the wind turns around in the middle of the night and sends a swell into your anchorage (it happens!), especially in shallow water with limited catenary, your 5 ton boat would feel very precarious indeed on 6mm chain.

My boat is 35 ft and 6 tons. All the tables say 8mm is fine, but I have 10mm and sleep better for it. The extra weight also helps enormously to keep the pull on the anchor horizontal.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtretreat.com>http://www.yachtretreat.com</A>