Fractional rig
Tiller-steered
Transom-hung rudder(s)
Twin-cylinder outboard motor

If all that's too easy, add any one of
Lift keel
Self-tacking jib
Carbon rig

All common-enough features per se, but finding them in combination on a boat of this length... I like the look of the Swallow Bay Cruiser 32, but so far as I know it's not yet been built; it's also wood, which I don't fancy.

Attachments

• 1722268737771.png
    1722268737771.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 10

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Which sailing cruiser of around 30 foot LOA has all the following features:
Fractional rig
Tiller-steered
Transom-hung rudder(s)
Twin-cylinder outboard motor

If all that's too easy, add any one of
Lift keel
Self-tacking jib
Carbon rig

All common-enough features per se, but finding them in combination on a boat of this length... I like the look of the Swallow Bay Cruiser 32, but so far as I know it's not yet been built; it's also wood, which I don't fancy.
Dragonfly 28? (Ticks everything bar the self tracker). Think the 32 is inboard only (though could be wrong). Just looking across the dock at a 32 now. Good looking craft!

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Dragonfly 28? (Ticks everything bar the self tracker). Think the 32 is inboard only (though could be wrong). Just looking across the dock at a 32 now. Good looking craft!
You beat me to it. If the 28 is a bit rich (though Al is selling his demonstrator) then a slightly older and cheaper one of mine, a 920 also ticks those same boxes. Mine is absolutely not for sale. It’s far too good.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Every boat is a compromise (or, more accurately, a whole lot of compromises).

I think you will probably need to decide which of your 'ideal' features are essential, and which would be just nice to have.
Or just fit a self tacker to a Dragonfly. It would suit the boat well, a slight reduction on foretriangle is unlikely to seriously hamper the boat, if it’s really that light you’d be flying a Code 0.

Metalicmike

Visit site
Hunter Horizon 27 or 30 would offer all you ask for except the OB. What is wrong with an inboard engine?
Pain in the arse to work on, another two places for water to get in, noise, vibration and loss of storage space. Oh yes, oily bilge and occasional smell of diesel when cleaning and changing filters. I love my VP2003 because I have to :love:

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Looking at the boat the OP linked to rather than the list of features, the nearest equivalent I can immediately think of is something from RM yachts but they also are built out of wood rather than GRP

fredrussell

Visit site
If you’re that determined to have an outboard engine you can retro fit one to most boats if you’re keen enough and remove the inboard. A bit bonkers but it takes all sorts.

dunedin

Visit site
You have to go quite small to get the transom hung rudder, as you pointed out. For sure the advantage of the self tacker if you’re single handed would carry some weight
…… except in practice a decent modern 30 footer jib can be tacked pretty easily, whereas with the smaller self tacker jib often ned to set an asymmetric off wind, which is much harder work

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

…… except in practice a decent modern 30 footer jib can be tacked pretty easily, whereas with the smaller self tacker jib often ned to set an asymmetric off wind, which is much harder work
Welll yes. I beleive I did mention Code sails in the context of the Dragonfly for light wind performance. In fact the DF920 isn't the easiest single handed tacker, cos the cockpit is quite long, and the boat needs to be ‘sailed around the tack’ for optimum performance. My single handed work around is the tiller pilot. I suppose I could try bringing the jib sheets to the coaming winches. But it’s only while Mrs C is in the heads or something, not often enough to worry about for me.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Very, very few boats around that size have outboards these days. I like them myself as well, but they're not really an option on the whole.
What's the budget? If you can look at a new 32' Swallow Bay I'm guessing you have some money to play with? If so, a new, semi-custom boat like that might be your best bet. At the other end of the spectrum, you could buy an older boat with a knackered engine and replace it with an outboard, which could be a very cheap way of getting the boat you want. The Hunter Horizon 30 might be close to what you want there.