Where to take my Dayskipper practical?

Solitaire

Visit site
I assume you are talking sail as opposed to power? If it's sailing then contact 5 Star Sailing in Warsash - right at the entrance of the Hamble. If of course it's poweer then perhaps a click on the signiture below might provide a clue!!

Parsonsheath

Visit site
I am happy to second Four Winds, you will really enjoy the course, and eat well!

I chose to go there for a taste of a different area, and did I notice the difference in the traffic!

Richard would make a great home maker for anyone, if he ever fell out of love with the water.

terryo

Visit site
Re: Where to take my Day skipper practical?

I recommend Jersey sailing school, Good weeks sailing in good company, speak to Chris.
Regards
Terry

jonathankent

Visit site
I did all my courses (comp crew, DS theory, DS practical, VHF/DSC) at Performance Yachting in Plymouth. Very good tuition, and as others have said no more than 4:1 tutor:student ratio. The coast of south Devon and Cornwall has some great places to moor/anchor for the night, from a stay in Fowey with a trip across to the pub, or a secluded anchorage far up the Tamar - always variety. You get similar to what has been mentioned in the solent - large ships (maybe not quite as large), tides from 2 or 3 directions at one place to contend with... and it is in a very attractive part of the country.

boggybrn

www.messingaboutinboats.co.uk
I see there are lots of votes for Southern sailing school, but I had a really miserable week doing day skipper with them last year.

The year before I did a course with BOSS, and with hindshight that was much better. The instructor was really good, and was very thorough on safety briefings etc.

brownsox

Visit site
OK so it's not the main thing, but the food at Southern Sailing is grim. First night meal: frozen pizza, baked beans and chips. We also experienced two boats breaking down when with them.
We did DS at Dartmouth Sailing - they have lovely Halberg Rasseys and great food, with wine in the evening. We had awful weather but it was a great week nevertheless.

mcframe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Being based on the South coast I chose the obvious place to do my DS practical.. The Clyde...

I took the chance to explore some totally new water: The DS practical isnt an in depth exploration of one's abilities, so I used it as an activity holiday, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, and would recommend anyone else to do likewise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way to do it - I did CC on the Solent, DS on the Clyde, CS out of Dartmouth (acquireing a taste for HRs with heating ;-) and a CS exam in _Secret Water_ to box the compass.

If you're going to sail on the Solent in future, then you might as well go somewhere else for the DS course.

I've done theory, but not practical ('tho I have sailed with 'em)with www.capitalsailing.com, which might be worth a look if you do decide to got to the Solent.

My vote goes to the Clyde.

rgds

Other threads that may be of interest