Where to start...?

Sybarite

Visit site
Follow your heart. No need to ask anyone's advice. Your own experience tells you what you can manage so just go.

Having said that PLEASE if you are planning to anchor fit an electric windlass. You will bless it every time you use it.

I can echo that. I don't have one and raising a 14kg anchor and maybe 10m of cal 8 chain is just about my limit now especially if there is any significant wind or tide. I also had a whopping shackle to attach the chain to the anchor which wouldn't go through the bow roller which meant lifting the anchor out and over the obstacle. Not good for the back. I now have a swivel which at least corrects that.

I have access to a shop soiled 1000W windlass for €750 which I shall probably have installed in the Autumn.

Were I to upgrade my first choice would be an Amel. They are designed from the start to be a sail-away from day one with everything you need for cruising. They also are set up in such a way that physical strength is not necessary for any manoeuvre. And no wood at all outside to rot.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I’ve exchanged contracts on the dream ship. And yes, she will be getting a hugely expensive big Lewmar electric windlass for Christmas. Unless someone is about to tell me that I really need an hydraulic one?

Na a electric will do you find . Just before fitting it what ever make you buy make sure you use some sort of barrier cream between and SS and Ally fitting .
So glad you not listen to once here who go on and on how they can haul anchors by hand and electric only are a waste of money .
Only thing I would say is maybe pay a bit more and get combinion one with a gipsy and drum .
Good luck with your new boats enjoy getting it ready ,

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
I’ve exchanged contracts on the dream ship. And yes, she will be getting a hugely expensive big Lewmar electric windlass for Christmas. Unless someone is about to tell me that I really need an hydraulic one?
Garage door wireless remote in parallel with the switches is a fantastic cheap add on. Operate the windlass from anywhere on the boat. :cool:

OldBawley

Visit site
So glad you not listen to once here who go on and on how they can haul anchors by hand and electric only are a waste of money .

Whow whow, sailaboutvic, I believe you did not read or understood what I wrote.
I never wrote electric was a waste of money, I even wrote sometimes I wish I had an electric winch.

My point was I would rather invest in a water maker than in a replacement winch.
And the fact that a good manual winch with real hardened steel gears can lift a lot more than most electric ones is true. I once lifted a 200 l oil drum filled with iron and concrete and dumped it 200 yards further. Just like you I don´t like people laying illegal moorings at perfect anchoring spots.

Only last year I anchored in the pre harbour of Nafplion and a local diver fouled my anchor. I saw the air bubbles, had seen him diving. During the night I lifted the fouled mess, took me a few hours.
The day before an other yacht had the same problem. Fouled anchor. Their electric winch could not lift the mess. They hired the same diver who fouled their anchor to free it. That was when I became aware of that fouling diver.
I witnessed their attempts to lift the mess, they could lift the big fisherman's anchor a bit but then the arm thick chain starts to become heavier and the electric winch could not cope.

I also sailed away from what suddenly became a dangerous lee shore twice with dead battery´s. I know, smart people don´t have that sort of problem, I did. Only twice in 30+ years of sailing, but I could lift my anchor twice without electric power when It was really needed.

Electric is safer, one can lift anchor from the helm. It is also a lot less work. I have been thinking about buying a electric winch for 30 years. Now.... I think the investment is not worth it anymore for our boat. On an 80 years old wooden boat with an old skipper every investment is money in the water.

However, I invested last year in a genakker with top down furling system. But that was for fun. Important.

DSCF3662 (1024x768).jpg

The Nafplio foul. My chain had two turns AND a knot around one of the flukes

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Whow whow, sailaboutvic, I believe you did not read or understood what I wrote.
I never wrote electric was a waste of money, I even wrote sometimes I wish I had an electric winch.

My point was I would rather invest in a water maker than in a replacement winch.
And the fact that a good manual winch with real hardened steel gears can lift a lot more than most electric ones is true. I once lifted a 200 l oil drum filled with iron and concrete and dumped it 200 yards further. Just like you I don´t like people laying illegal moorings at perfect anchoring spots.

Only last year I anchored in the pre harbour of Nafplion and a local diver fouled my anchor. I saw the air bubbles, had seen him diving. During the night I lifted the fouled mess, took me a few hours.
The day before an other yacht had the same problem. Fouled anchor. Their electric winch could not lift the mess. They hired the same diver who fouled their anchor to free it. That was when I became aware of that fouling diver.
I witnessed their attempts to lift the mess, they could lift the big fisherman's anchor a bit but then the arm thick chain starts to become heavier and the electric winch could not cope.

I also sailed away from what suddenly became a dangerous lee shore twice with dead battery´s. I know, smart people don´t have that sort of problem, I did. Only twice in 30+ years of sailing, but I could lift my anchor twice without electric power when It was really needed.

Electric is safer, one can lift anchor from the helm. It is also a lot less work. I have been thinking about buying a electric winch for 30 years. Now.... I think the investment is not worth it anymore for our boat. On an 80 years old wooden boat with an old skipper every investment is money in the water.

However, I invested last year in a genakker with top down furling system. But that was for fun. Important.

View attachment 72551

The Nafplio foul. My chain had two turns AND a knot around one of the flukes

Hahahaha , I not seen this posting and I assure you my comment wasn't about you or the posting , honesty, it more about the time we read some here who are on weekend boats or small boat that anchor now and then , in that case I too probably wouldn't have a windlass ,
What the problem with hauling up by hand once every other week .
But as someone who anchors full time I wouldn't be without one .
I think thing happen to change our mind at times , bad back in my case , I have said for years I wouldn't have a water maker , and there no need for one in the Med any way , guess what's , I build one 18 months ago and I love it and now I wouldn't be without it . If you need advise how to build one let me know happy to help .

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Hahahaha , I not seen this posting and I assure you my comment wasn't about you or the posting , honesty, it more about the time we read some here who are on weekend boats or small boat that anchor now and then , in that case I too probably wouldn't have a windlass ,
What the problem with hauling up by hand once every other week .
But as someone who anchors full time I wouldn't be without one .
I think thing happen to change our mind at times , bad back in my case , I have said for years I wouldn't have a water maker , and there no need for one in the Med any way , guess what's , I build one 18 months ago and I love it and now I wouldn't be without it . If you need advise how to build one let me know happy to help .

Hi sailaboutvic Can I be the first (of many, I am sure) to ask you to start a separate thread about how you built a Watermaker. Your thoughts and input from others would be a very worthwhile thread indeed.

OldBawley

Visit site
Excellent idea.

I could start with some things I would like on a self made water maker.

Small. Even 10 litres a day ( running from excess solar or wind power.) would be ok for us.
We have seawater at the sink, a lot of rinsing and cleaning can be done with seawater.
Mind, I love to anchor far from town quays and marina´s.
Sadly I have a gigantic nose, the advantage is that I can smell if sewers are near. No seawater use there.
Even doing the laundry with our wonder wash I use 10 litre for the actual washing, then rinse two times with sea water, then rinse one more time with sweet water. So 20 litre of sweet for a machine of laundry.

The wife tells me my laundry is cleaner then what the automatic ( New ) machine does at home. My white shirts are white. The reason I do the laundry is that even with a wonder wash, It is hard and long work.

Nb. Even 3 years ago small remote villages as Gerakas ( Greece ) had no water connection. I saw old lady´s use seawater from the quay just 3 yards from there front door to rinse the laundry.

12 Volt. Simple, hook it up on the existing system.

No fancy regulating, I think to be smart enough to start and stop a water maker myself.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Agree with the 12v from unused solar output. No engine drive. Easy obtainable parts. Perhaps even a design for a combined winter project among several liveaboards to simplify ordering as a kit.

We are waiting for you Vic.

Edited to point out that Vic has already started the DIY water-maker on this forum.

Last edited:

Gryphon2

Visit site
Can I recommend Cruising for Cowards by Liz Copeland if you hav not already read it ....lots of really good sound practical advice.

I would also second everyone else who said just go. We did an Atlantic circuit with very little kit in a 27ft Albin Vega in 81/2 and had no great problems. We also completed a circumnavigation in 2015 in a much bigger boat with all the gear which was definitely more comfortable ....but alot heavier on the wallet! An AIS that transmits would be up there on my list ....especially if doing much single handing ....you will sleep a lot easier.