Where to keep a boat on the West coast of Scotland?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I am am member of a boat share group and we have 2 boats, both currently over here near Inverness. We are having a discussion about the future of the group.

One of the options I am looking at is move 1 boat to the West Coast. In order to have some facts for that debate, I am asking the members here for recommendations for where, and how much to keep her? the boat in question is a 21ft sailing cruiser.

I guess ideally we need somewhere easy to get to from Inverness, which probably means somewhere between Fort William and Ullapool?

What are the options and costs? ideally looking for somewhere with walk ashore access (pontoon) and crane in / out facilities and winter storage (no trailer for the boat)

Ideas please?

Mataji

Visit site
I’d go to Craobh Haven. About a 40 minute drive south of Oban. Perfect place for a small boat. Lots of sheltered water sailing right outside the marina and easy access to all the west coast.

jdc

Visit site
My vote is for Plockton. It's sheltered and beautiful, and can be got to from Inverness easily by train, or by hire car. I live in S England, and yet keep my boat there for part of the summer. There's a dinghy pontoon and reasonable things to do ashore (and one can always go to Kyle if you want bright lights ;-)

I bought a mooring and pay a fairly modest annual fee to the PHCIC. Winter storage ashore is more problematic, but there's a big yard on Loch Kishorn - about 4 miles as the crow files or the boat sails, and about 40 miles by car!

Last edited:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
We all drive so access would be mostly by car.

I think Craobh Haven is too far. I like the sound of Plocton, but what about Dinghy storage? What are the fees like particularly lift out and winter storage?

Looking on Google earth, there appear to be pontoons there? Who runs those and how much?

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Kyleakin is cheap, council run, and the community council own a small piece of hardstanding. If you can get a trailer capable of travelling the couple of hundred yards from the slipway to the hardstanding, it will give you very cheap winter storage.

Main downside of the place is that it is full of fishing boats and you might end up on the inside of a raft.

A more conventional facility is Lochinver, they have pontoons, travel hoist, and hardstanding. Again it's council run and prices are reasonable.

afterpegassus

Visit site
Get a mooring in or around Plocton. Lift out and storage at Kishorn at very reasonable rates.
Given the size of boat, from here you have access to plenty of fairly sheltered sailing and your just over an hour from Inverness.

ctva

Visit site
If you want a pontoon, Mallaig. Good location, transport options, pontoons, not sure of the winter storage.

jdc

Visit site
... I like the sound of Plocton, but what about Dinghy storage?

Looking on Google earth, there appear to be pontoons there? Who runs those and how much?

The pontoons at Plockton are for dinghies not yachts as they are too shallow at LW, but useful for drinking water / stores etc. You can keep your dinghy there on the inside: the pontoon used to be known as 'The eternal Flame' as boats there never went out but it's been tided up a bit. But of course, once tidied up, fishermen dump mounds of abandoned gear on it so you have to work around this. I've never paid extra for the dinghy, but I haven't left it there all year round. Email enquiries are best directed to the PHCIC, secretary@plocktonharbour.com

You also asked about lift-out and storage ashore. There's none at Plockton but there used to be at Kishorn. I think it best to contact them direct as they are always fantasising about huge construction projects but only get one every decade or so. Mean-times they have to 'slum it' by taking on yachts. At present they are pinning their hopes on offshore wind, so the attitude to yachts is variable.

However for a small boat such as yours it's more common to haul out with just a tractor and cradle - you don't really need a 30 Tonne crane or fancy boat-hoist - so Port Bàn near Duirnish Station could be just what you need: several yachts spend the winter here hauled ashore just above the HW mark in perfect shelter. Or just store ashore in a corner of a farmer's yard; this is what the locals do. Again, seeking local advice and contacts from the Plockton Harbour secretary would be sensible. PM me if you want his personal email. Sorry I am a bit vague about the winter storage as my boat is rather heavy and comparatively awkward so I inevitably sail back to Falmouth for the winter (plus it's where I live).

But since you're near Inverness, why not take the train and have a look? If you make it Thursday night there's music in the pub, and very convivial it is too.

psp

Visit site
The pontoons at Plockton are for dinghies not yachts as they are too shallow at LW, but useful for drinking water / stores etc. You can keep your dinghy there on the inside: the pontoon used to be known as 'The eternal Flame' as boats there never went out but it's been tided up a bit. But of course, once tidied up, fishermen dump mounds of abandoned gear on it so you have to work around this. I've never paid extra for the dinghy, but I haven't left it there all year round. Email enquiries are best directed to the PHCIC, secretary@plocktonharbour.com

You also asked about lift-out and storage ashore. There's none at Plockton but there used to be at Kishorn. I think it best to contact them direct as they are always fantasising about huge construction projects but only get one every decade or so. Mean-times they have to 'slum it' by taking on yachts. At present they are pinning their hopes on offshore wind, so the attitude to yachts is variable.

However for a small boat such as yours it's more common to haul out with just a tractor and cradle - you don't really need a 30 Tonne crane or fancy boat-hoist - so Port Bàn near Duirnish Station could be just what you need: several yachts spend the winter here hauled ashore just above the HW mark in perfect shelter. Or just store ashore in a corner of a farmer's yard; this is what the locals do. Again, seeking local advice and contacts from the Plockton Harbour secretary would be sensible. PM me if you want his personal email. Sorry I am a bit vague about the winter storage as my boat is rather heavy and comparatively awkward so I inevitably sail back to Falmouth for the winter (plus it's where I live).

But since you're near Inverness, why not take the train and have a look? If you make it Thursday night there's music in the pub, and very convivial it is too.

This post is rather misleading. Kishorn boatyard have nothing to do with Kishorn construction yard. Yachts will not be pushed out to make room for oil rigs. They are two separate businesses
A mooring in Plockton would be a good choice. There are also swinging moorings in Kyleakin. There is a chap locally whi does a lift out with his crane and drops you on the hard standing. A 21ft boat would be no problem. As said by someone else Kishorn boatyard very cheap for lift out and storage.

jdc

Visit site
This post is rather misleading. Kishorn boatyard have nothing to do with Kishorn construction yard. Yachts will not be pushed out to make room for oil rigs. They are two separate businesses
... Kishorn boatyard very cheap for lift out and storage.

It's good to have your assurance that yachts won't be squeezed out: I was recommending Kishorn as the winter yard (see post #3) but advised the OP to contact Kishorn directly if he wants to know costs and availability and be assured about its future: are you saying there's no point him doing this?

psp

Visit site
I'm saying the complete opposite. There is no problem with the boatyard. They are open for business and will remain so.the construction yard is almost a mile away.

afterpegassus

Visit site
You also asked about lift-out and storage ashore. There's none at Plockton but there used to be at Kishorn. I think it best to contact them direct as they are always fantasising about huge construction projects but only get one every decade or so. Mean-times they have to 'slum it' by taking on yachts. At present they are pinning their hopes on offshore wind, so the attitude to yachts is variabe[c/QUOTE]

There are quite separate businesses concerned with the operation of the dry dock and yacht servicing and the only thing they have in common is the access road. The attitude to yachts is not variable, it is invariably positive.

steve yates

Visit site
Thinking about this, you could do a lot worse than join glencoe boat club, get your own mooring laid there, or see if there is one to rent, and take her to creran marine to lift out for the winter, or get hauled out by tractor at dallens bay.

dgadee

Visit site
I didn't mean to delete anything. Suggested Ullapool mooring. Lift out at Lochinver or keep on a trailer at Ullapool.