Where to best search Blue Water Yachts 32 to 36 feet.

yelbis

Visit site
Hi All. Been a few years since i have posted, however. Been browsing for offshore capable and ready but lots of sites listing everything but!

Any ideas where to search in order to stop wasting time.

Thanks

RupertW

Visit site
Of course the really difficult question is what do you mean by blue water yachts?

There are two standard answers - those that are actually used by blue water sailors which are usually ex-charter type boats which are designed to be good to live on in warm waters and sail well, or alternatively the kind of heavy narrow shed that would be familiar to those who like 1960s boats and are genuinely better in very cold or very tough climates.

Which way you go is usually a matter of the kind of dream you have of your sailing rather than any practical difference as people sail the oceans in any manner of boat and enjoy their particular way of doing it.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The truth is that any reasonably well found yacht in good order is quite capable of crossing oceans in low attitudes using trade winds. Some will be more comfortable than others, but you really need to think about your intended use. For example, if money was no object, we'd almost certainly consider getting a large cat or a deckhouse saloon. If you are serious about cruising in the tropics, you spend far more time at anchor than you do crossing the oceans. At those prices, it's all about the age and condition of the gear and sails and ancillaries.

Define what you really want to do, and then people might come up with some sensible suggestions?

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
...Any ideas where to search in order to stop wasting time.

Thanks

I’m not sure what you are asking. Do you mean where are there boats for sale generally? Or are you asking where are there discussions on the relative merits of different boats for bluewater use?
If it’s the former, I reckon Apolloduck would be a good start. If it’s the latter there’s loads of debate on this forum, just put “YBW forum bluewater boat” into google.
Be warned though, all the YBW threads recently on this topic have quickly descended into extremely tedious arguments by (usually) the same people. This thread will almost certainly end up doing the same.

yelbis

Visit site
Thanks folks. I was after websites that may detail used, well founded and kitted out, there are multiple sites available that are general listings.

I was enquiring if there were more dedicated websites, perhaps forum based with members selling or suggesting yachts.

I was not intending to ask a question of what boat is best or worst. Sorry if the thread was misleading.

E39mad

Visit site
I am not aware of a specific website for your requirements. Perhaps better to narrow it down it to a couple of marques and then search. Sometimes the owners associations are good places to look or put up a wanted ad.

RupertW

Visit site
[Content removed]
I‘m not saying that heavy boats with encapsulated keels are bad for ocean crossing - they will get there eventually although with the tiny crew space it might be fractious - but you are very one tracked, and I think would enjoy getting out there to some remote anchorages and seeing the kind of boats that have been crossing oceans for decades without their keels falling off.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJJ

Visit site
Hi All. Been a few years since i have posted, however. Been browsing for offshore capable and ready but lots of sites listing everything but!

Any ideas where to search in order to stop wasting time.

Thanks
A good start is to ignore anyone who presents you with a dogmatic view of which boats are and aren't suitable. Many boats are perfectly capable of crossing oceans, and living aboard, in safety and with varying degrees of speed/comfort. All boats have pros and cons; if you are considering going ocean cruising you should be able to figure them out.

Sorry you've already been clobbered with one dogmatic response. I won't add fuel to the fire.

In my experience, yachtworld was the main resource.

Another could be to join various facebook groups dedicated to the ARC or to Atlantic crossings more generally; see if you can find someone just returning who is looking to sell.

rotrax

Visit site
I‘m not saying that heavy boats with encapsulated keels are bad for ocean crossing - they will get there eventually although with the tiny crew space it might be fractious - but you are very one tracked, and I think would enjoy getting out there to some remote anchorages and seeing the kind of boats that have been crossing oceans for decades without their keels falling off.

Our boat has an encapsulated keel and is heavy - bloody heavy.

It has, however, huge internal space - we can seat 9 around the pilothpouse table - can travel 1,000 NM's on engine alone and an intrepid sailor using the same model very nearly made the North West Passage some years ago. The early onset of ice sent him back.

There is no right or wrong type of boat for Blue Water use - unless, of course, you are Brent Swain..............................................

I suggest the OP sends jonic a PM.

He has his finger on the pulse of available Blue Water boats.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I believe one may expect to find every boat for sale in the Netherlands at BotenTeKoop - make sure you pick the English language option at the top of the page; you can filter by length and such to make the selection more navigable. I found the Netherlands a pleasant and convenient place for a few weeks' boat shopping, and write now from a 12m Van De Stadt.

RupertW

Visit site

It has, however, huge internal space - we can seat 9 around the pilothpouse table - can travel 1,000 NM's on engine alone and an intrepid sailor using the same model very nearly made the North West Passage some years ago. The early onset of ice sent him back.

There is no right or wrong type of boat for Blue Water use - unless, of course, you are Brent Swain..............................................

Blimey I’m surprised the arrival of the boat didn’t send the ice scurrying for cover. But in a tough climate I’d get a pilothouse boat every time - I was actually looking at the details of a Fisher 46 yesterday and imagining being warm and dry under sail in cold rough weather. My wife’s preference (which I have slowly but thoroughly come round to) is that the best way to keep warm is to stay in the open air and make sure you are somewhere very warm.

geem

Visit site

Yep, not all Bluewater boats have cramped accommodation. We have a large saloon with 7 ft headroom. Ours is also heavy with 6000kg of encapsulated lead in a fin keel. She is no slouch and out performs many more modern lightweight offerings on a regular basis. Huge tankage, a walk in engine room, diesel genset and a cockpit that can seat 10.
She also had an airex cored hull and deck and it built to Lloyds 100A1?

RupertW

Visit site
Yep, not all Bluewater boats have cramped accommodation. We have a large saloon with 7 ft headroom. Ours is also heavy with 6000kg of encapsulated lead in a fin keel. She is no slouch and out performs many more modern lightweight offerings on a regular basis. Huge tankage, a walk in engine room, diesel genset and a cockpit that can seat 10.
She also had an airex cored hull and deck and it built to Lloyds 100A1?
Some part of that can’t be right or you need to get hold of the racing bods and tell them your secret - heavy, full large tankage beamy and high and faster than lightweight boats with smaller wetted areas.