Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

alant

Visit site
It's even closer to Keyhaven, which is a bit more tidally constrained even for a bilge keeler. it's much nicer than Lymingtonk, easier to get out through Hurst (no one ever wants to push the tide that way ).
Handy for the New Forest, Christchurch and Bournmouth but otherwise pretty much a dead end. Southampton for decent shops, although lymington has some boutiques, an M&S food and a Waitrose.

Which are you referring too as "pretty much a dead end"?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Milford on Sea, just a cycle ride from Lymington.
Friendly, great eateries/pubs & tourists start appearing around easter.
http://www.milfordonsea.org/

I used to live there, and don't recognise your portrayal.

It is indeed handy for Lymington, but property is expensive (wasn't affordability one of the criteria?), though perhaps no more so than Keswick. I can't remember it being unfriendly, but rarely saw anyone out and about, as most of the population seemed aged 90+ (not a problem one at a time, but you can have too much of a good thing!). There was a standing joke along the lines of 'People retire to Lymington from London, to be near their parents who live in Milford'. Perhaps they've all died off by now?

Pleasant (if unexciting after much repetition), walks to Hurst Castle and Keyhaven, and nearby in New Forest.

I recall one good restaurant, and two passable pubs (and also that the evening I arrived to move in, I was unable to get anything to eat at 9pm). Bit of a cultural desert, too, unless 'Olde Tyme Music Hall' at New Milton is your kind of thing.

alant

Visit site
I used to live there, and don't recognise your portrayal.

It is indeed handy for Lymington, but property is expensive (wasn't affordability one of the criteria?), though perhaps no more so than Keswick. I can't remember it being unfriendly, but rarely saw anyone out and about, as most of the population seemed aged 90+ (not a problem one at a time, but you can have too much of a good thing!). There was a standing joke along the lines of 'People retire to Lymington from London, to be near their parents who live in Milford'. Perhaps they've all died off by now?

Pleasant (if unexciting after much repetition), walks to Hurst Castle and Keyhaven, and nearby in New Forest.

I recall one good restaurant, and two passable pubs (and also that the evening I arrived to move in, I was unable to get anything to eat at 9pm). Bit of a cultural desert, too, unless 'Olde Tyme Music Hall' at New Milton is your kind of thing.

Due to lot's of incomers from the Smoke, Milford has lots of excellent (award winning) eateries.
Must have been pre-war in your day.;)