Where can I get new sheave made?

Daydream believer

Visit site
If it was mine I would stick it in my lathe, bore it out & fit an oilite bush, from bearing boys.
Fairly cheap to do as oilite bushes are not expensive. Just takes a bit of time searching through their clunky website for the correct bore, Oa diameter & length The bush, would be about £3 plus delivery
'
It does not spin fast so the OP could buy a drill bit with interference fit & drill & press fit an oilite bush himself very easily & save a lot of money
'
If I went down the SS route I would buy a 5.25 inch disc from M machines ( not a square) & just turn it on my lathe.
Other plastics or materials are generally too expensive & are not really warranted

Last edited:

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
If it was mine I would stick it in my lathe, bore it out & fit an oilite bush, from bearing boys.
Fairly cheap to do as oilite bushes are not expensive. Just takes a bit of time searching through their clunky website for the correct bore, Oa diameter & length The bush, would be about £3 plus delivery
'
It does not spin fast so the OP could buy a drill bit with interference fit & drill & press fit an oilite bush himself very easily & save a lot of money
'
If I went down the SS route I would buy a 5.25 inch disc from M machines ( not a square) & just turn it on my lathe.
Other plastics or materials are generally too expensive & are not really warranted
The post I did showing relative materials costs shows that, surprisingly, 316 stainless is probably the best bet and most economic - its going to last much longer than aluminium or any of the plastics, and as you mention it could also be made with an oilite bush and it would be worth making a new pin for it as well

Plastics are easier to machine but with minimum lengths being an issue for most people they would work out more expensive, not an issue for us as we keep a range of different plastics up to 150mm

B27

Visit site
https://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/downloads/Metals catalogue.pdf page 19

Diameter Brass CZ121 6 1/2" D £45.00 inch/25mm £54.00 inc. VAT plus shipping

About the best supplier there is currently, particularly for obscure sizes
Thanks for the catalogue link,
If I was trying to fix this for under a tenner, I'd be looking at buying a sliver of thick-wall aluminium tubing to make a new rim for the sheave and getting it anodised.
Unfortunately my lathe is about half the size needed.
And by the time I'd gone out for a curry with my machinist mate and my anodising mate, the cost is more like 3 figures.

B27

Visit site
The post I did showing relative materials costs shows that, surprisingly, 316 stainless is probably the best bet and most economic - its going to last much longer than aluminium or any of the plastics, and as you mention it could also be made with an oilite bush and it would be worth making a new pin for it as well

Plastics are easier to machine but with minimum lengths being an issue for most people they would work out more expensive, not an issue for us as we keep a range of different plastics up to 150mm
The cost of plastic stock to machine is one of the things that made me get a 3D printer.

Dogone

Visit site
One of the sheaves in the boom (a very old Hood/Formula rig) needs replacing. I have removed it and 3D printed a temporary replacement. So I have the original to be copied. Its quite big being a diameter or 150mm
Can anyone suggest someone who might make a replacement? I have had a quote of £152 + vat + shipping from a riggers in Southampton which seems a lot - or am I unrealistic
Thanks
Tudorsailor
I had a stainless steel bespoke sheave made to my design. It cost a little more than that. A fair price I thought. Any old machine shop will do this and in any material you specify.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I am constantly on the lookout for scrap sheet, plate, and bar stock. Some of it sits in the shop for a decadeor more, before suddenly, it is just the thing, and I can knock out a part in minutes for nothing. Then you feel a little smarter for the stockpiling.

B27

Visit site
I am constantly on the lookout for scrap sheet, plate, and bar stock. Some of it sits in the shop for a decadeor more, before suddenly, it is just the thing, and I can knock out a part in minutes for nothing. Then you feel a little smarter for the stockpiling.
But if you're doing that as a business, you expect to be well rewarded for 10 years of being 'smart'.

Zing

Visit site
One of the sheaves in the boom (a very old Hood/Formula rig) needs replacing. I have removed it and 3D printed a temporary replacement. So I have the original to be copied. Its quite big being a diameter or 150mm
Can anyone suggest someone who might make a replacement? I have had a quote of £152 + vat + shipping from a riggers in Southampton which seems a lot - or am I unrealistic
Thanks
Tudorsailor
Sounds a reasonable price. My gardener wants £60/hr for what is unskilled labour, so a proper skilled chap on a lathe ought to get more and it takes an hour to start work these days, because that first cup of tea to get the day started does seem to take a while to brew. Try these guys for example.

Get Wire Rope Sheaves & Pulleys Here | Custom & Stock | Aluminum - Nylon - Steel