Wheelpilots

janda

Visit site
My Autohelm 3000 is faulty but there seem to be no alternative wheelpilots for my Halmatic 880 which has a bulkhead mounted wheel rather than the pedestal wheel more commonly found. So do I have to handsteer for the rest of my life?

DownWest

Visit site
If you look at West Marine's site, they do an overview of all types. Quite informative and,IIRR, there is something on bulkhead mounts.
A

Tranona

Visit site
My Autohelm 3000 is faulty but there seem to be no alternative wheelpilots for my Halmatic 880 which has a bulkhead mounted wheel rather than the pedestal wheel more commonly found. So do I have to handsteer for the rest of my life?

The Autohelm 4000, now re-named SP X5 has a bulkhead mounting kit. Very simple. The motor goes through the bulkhead and there is a flush mounted post to locate the wheel drive. That bit works well, but, in my view the wheelpilot motor is not reliable. I have had two new ones fail when part of the drive gear fractured. However, Raymarine have sold thousands so I guess I am unlucky!

They also do a more sophisticated type with the same controls but a ram working direct on the quadrant - but nearly 3 times the price!