What's the point of yacht clubs?

PhillM

Visit site
I am a member of the R Southern. Lots of advantages including a great Bosun service, which makes having a (cheaper) river mooring almost as easy as walk-ashore. I like the summer cruise, although some years I cannot make it due to work commitments. Not a big racer, although have occasionally helped mark laying for the race management team. Great social programme if you are into that sort of thing. Personally, I tend to do a couple a year as it's nice to catch up with friends out of season, rather than get too involved in the weekly activities. Lots of people have boats, some also SUP, canoe gig row, swim, cycle, and shoot. Some do a combination of all. So, there are lots you can get involved in, or not, depending on what you like and how you feel.

Edit: And it's great that we have so many reciprocal arrangements both in the UK and abroad. I have always had a great welcome wherever I have gone. Perhaps that is because of my membership or perhaps because I always take care to observe local rules and wear a smile.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The main purpose of a yacht club is to provide a balcony from where members can enjoy watching their fellow members make a balls-up of coming alongside the club pontoon.
Our club have just put a new rib/dinghy outhaul on the pontoon. It’s now stinkboats only, and small ones at that. Air clearance 2.5m at hw. Mind you, it only has .6m draught at low water, 2m hw springs, so for almost any sail boat but us, your spectators would be in stitches.

MikeB.

Visit site
Indeed the Royal Southampton WAS at Ocean Village but for a few reasons the RSYC moved out and those premises are now the Head Office of MDL and the Royal Southampton operate out of Gins on the Beaulieu River