What's it like at Island Harbour with a tent?

ricky_s

Visit site
Hi All,

We are thinking about going to Island Harbour for the first time in a couple of weeks, mainly because you can take a tent to put our 15 year old son and his mate in overnight.

What is it like in there these days and where are the tents in relation to the boats? What are the shower blocks like?

superheat6k

Visit site
The camping area is in sight of the boats next to the shower block.

However, I understand some building work has been taking place so might be worth getting an update from a more recent visitor.

ricky_s

Visit site
The camping area is in sight of the boats next to the shower block.

However, I understand some building work has been taking place so might be worth getting an update from a more recent visitor.

Thanks Superheat6k.

Seems that it can't be that popular judging by the lack of replies.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
I love Island Harbour. I think the lack of replies may be that few of us boaties have any clue where the tents go. We were there on a rally a few weeks ago. The building work is super dooper new showers and toilets and although the last lick of paint isn't on it they are fully functional. We also had a pretty good meal in the restaurant there and they do breakfasts if you don't fancy getting the stove out. Access is easy although you need to be aware of the tide and your draught as it is locked but there is good info on their web site as well as advice on how to approach. Basically you go down the centre of the Medina channel until the line of marker buoys leading to the lock is abeam and then turn sharp left - don't cut the corner. I always try and get there on free flow but the lock staff are very good and come out to lend a hand. The lock has vertical wooden sides and you don't use your own lines, there are fixed one on the top of the lock that you use to steady yourself. Come in on the starboard side of the lock as that is where the lock staff are. Once through the lock turn sharp left and you will see the pontoons. Remember that dog leg when you come out or you will do what I did and go straight into the lift out bay - much to everyone's amusement. There are nice walks both to the Folly and into Newport.

crossy

www.horizoncharterboats.co.uk
We stayed at Island Harbour in May and had a fantastic few days there, really enjoyed it and will definitely go back.

Food was good at the marina and the Folly is only a 15 minute walk away. Can also recommend the Newport walk and the waiting pint at the Bargeman's rest. Getting up there is very easy, from memory 3 hours either side of high tide but if you drop them a line they will give you more accurate details. As above, don't cut the corner....

Enjoy.

ricky_s

Visit site
Thanks guys, some very useful information there. All we need now is the weather then I think we will have a good few days in there.:).

KevB

Visit site
Island harbour is one of my favourites. Although there is building work going on there was still some green area to camp or.. when the isle wight festival was on there were tents set up on the other side of the marina, still very close and over looking the marina but away from the building works. If you can get a berth on the long northern pontoon you'll be less than about 15 feet away from where you can put a tent.

And here is a pic to show how close. you can step across the rocks.

IMAG1014_zpsi0eyvb59.jpg

Last edited:

ricky_s

Visit site
Island harbour is one of my favourites. Although there is building work going on there was still some green area to camp or.. when the isle wight festival was on there were tents set up on the other side of the marina, still very close and over looking the marina but away from the building works. If you can get a berth on the long northern pontoon you'll be less than about 15 feet away from where you can put a tent.

And here is a pic to show how close. you can step across the rocks.

IMAG1014_zpsi0eyvb59.jpg

Thanks Kev. At least if we are near I can keep an eye on them, at that age they can get up to mischief:).

ricky_s

Visit site
We did go in the end, the kids had the field to themselves and we really enjoyed the marina, even if it is a little out of the way from everywhere else but I am sure it has the slowest lock in the world!