What's a "Magic Sponge"?

Thepipdoc

Visit site
I've seen the odd thread that mentions a "Magic Sponge" and today I called in to the chandlers and asked if they stock them. He looked at me as though I had 2 heads!!
I felt like an apprentice that had been sent for a "metric adjustable spanner"!
Can some one please tell me what this wonderful product is... or beter still, provide a link to someone who's selling them.
Thanks very gladly.

Ron Dean

Visit site
I've seen the odd thread that mentions a "Magic Sponge" and today I called in to the chandlers and asked if they stock them. He looked at me as though I had 2 heads!!
I felt like an apprentice that had been sent for a "metric adjustable spanner"!
Can some one please tell me what this wonderful product is... or beter still, provide a link to someone who's selling them.
Thanks very gladly.
The "Magic Sponge" was always called for at football matches when a player was injured. I'm going back to the time, when the game was played by men (not drama queens).
If the magic sponge didn't work, then the bucket of cold water was poured over the player. If there was still no response - he was carried off injured! :D

BrendanS

Visit site
Shouldn't take up any water at all - you are supposed to use it dry. Just damp what you are cleaning and rub. It will last years when used like this. If you dump the thing in water it will fall apart rapidly.

colvic987

Visit site
Shouldn't take up any water at all - you are supposed to use it dry. Just damp what you are cleaning and rub. It will last years when used like this. If you dump the thing in water it will fall apart rapidly.

sorry to be a bore, but how does it work brendan, that long chemical wording, what does it do. !!!! (just interested, my missus, swears by them. cuts cleaning time down by hours), will tell her not to dump in water, just spray area and wipe.

DRM MARINE VALETING

Visit site
A " magic sponge " is made of melamine. It is slightly abrasive, so use with care on gel-coat, if you rub hard in one spot for too long it will result in a very slight dull patch, but nothing a light cutting polish won't remove. They are excellent at cleaning vinyl seat cushions which are a bit grimy, boot scuff marks on the side of coach roofs, but are amazing at cleaning non slip areas, removing grime a scrubbing brush leaves behind. Just throw one in your bucket of soapy water with a regular sponge as they have to be used wet, and use as needed. The only down side is on rough surfaces they tend to disintegrate quite quickly. I personally can't live without them.

drmvaletingservices@o2.co.uk

Thepipdoc

Visit site
A " magic sponge " is made of melamine. It is slightly abrasive, so use with care on gel-coat, if you rub hard in one spot for too long it will result in a very slight dull patch, but nothing a light cutting polish won't remove. They are excellent at cleaning vinyl seat cushions which are a bit grimy, boot scuff marks on the side of coach roofs, but are amazing at cleaning non slip areas, removing grime a scrubbing brush leaves behind. Just throw one in your bucket of soapy water with a regular sponge as they have to be used wet, and use as needed. The only down side is on rough surfaces they tend to disintegrate quite quickly. I personally can't live without them.

Thanks DRM - as I said, I knew they had been mentioned in previous threads, perhaps it was you.
Millions of sponges exist in Google but the key word is "Melamine".
I've now found the type you mention- thanks.

Who

Visit site
It a sponge that takes up just about any grime it comes into contact with. Something to do with the cell structure.

I have cleaned the entire boat with one and then polished it. Removes any masks it comes across.

I prefer to use them wet as this makes them not so abrasive but they don't last long this way. But at £0.30 each who cares.

If you have white or beige seat on your boat and try and clean with some kind of detergent, its a waste of time. Just get a magic sponge and the vinyl is INSTANTLY clean again.

I buy 100 at a time from eBay and use them round the house, clean the boat, tender etc.

Just get some!

Everyone on our pontoon now uses them

Thepipdoc

Visit site
Always good to check prices of the sponges and shop around, I have seen them for as much as £1:00 each. Ebay is the way to go unless you want to import loads direct from China or Korea.

Just orered 30 from here at about £0.40 each.
DRM - can they be used on white gelcoat providing no heavy, continuos rubbing in one place is done?

DRM MARINE VALETING

Visit site
Just orered 30 from here at about £0.40 each.
DRM - can they be used on white gelcoat providing no heavy, continuos rubbing in one place is done?

Yes it is fine to use on white gel-coat, but be gentle with it and always use it wet. As I posted before if you are a little heavy handed in one area, the lightest of polishing will remove any dull spot. I have used them for over 4 years now and would be lost without one in my bucket.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I always use one for cleaning my Avon Rib, I use it with ribshire when its really grimey.

I also used it a couple of weeks ago to do the non slip areas, the flybridge floor and cockpit, I can honestly say the results were amazing, with very little effort.

They are great for cleaning tired fenders too with alittle TFR or ribshine mixed in.

I saw them for sale some years back at SBS at 4.99 each, watched the demo but resisted.

My wifes buys them in 10s from Boyes at 99p each, you get 2 in a cardpacket.