What type of sail is this?

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I was recently given this sail by the new owner of a 42ft Sloop who hadn't a clue what it is - any more than I do either!

It resembles two jibs sewn together at the luff where there is webbing to support the join. It's 8.5 metres down the centre seam and 5.5 metres along each foot. At the tack it has a strop 1.5 metres long. There is no bolt rope or similar to allow it to use a forestay foil. It seems to be designed to be attached by the central head and tack and with sheets at each clew.DSC_0082.jpgDSC_0084.jpgDSC_0083.jpg

It's made of a moderately heavy dacron in bright dayglow orange.

My first thought was that it was some sort of downwind rig - a bit like twin head sails, but for higher winds and designed to be flown outside a furled genoa- perhaps?

Then I wondered if it is double skinned storm jib designed to flown around a furled genoa?

Another yachtie said it was a "paper bag sail", a downwind sail, similar to one's he had used dinghy racing. I can't find any references to this using Google!

But in any case I can imagine it to be tricky to hoist in anything of a blow...... So!........

Can anybody tell me what it is and what it's called and how to use it?

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Storm jib for a boat with roller furling & no inner forestay. You wrap it round your rolled up headsail, one half on either side, attach the tack using the strop, haul it up with a spare halyard & tie both clews together with the sheets.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I would bet against it being a riding sail. I already have one, and the cut is completely different, in particular you don't want high cut foot on a riding sail that is already inclined forwards 20 degrees or so...... But I have bet and lost before!

lw395

Visit site
I've seen one in real life, they're only noddy storm jobs, not the real thing.

They fulfil the requirement of carrying a storm jib.
And it's better than knackering your rolled genoa in a F8.
I'd imagine there might be a fair amount of reinforcement at the clew in the form of patches of the same colour fabric.