What should I have said to my daughter when....

D

Deleted member 36384

"Oh why a dog on your ankle?"

My nephew shacked up with Glasgow's premier tattooist's (and ex nutter) daughter. His Pièce de résistance is a fully rigged ship across his chest. Graduated as an aeronautical engineer, then trained as an Engineer in the merchant navy. Now he is banker, top drummer, bassist and plays in a thrash metal band.

It would be easy to think he was dick head based on his tattoo and get all shirty about it but he is a very interesting bloke.

I would have just said "Oh, why a dog on your ankle?"

chippysmith

www.activedesign.org.uk
As much as you don't like it there's nothing you can do or say, try not to get to wrapped up in it, it's cute and she likes it, it could have been a Lions head on her shoulder!

She's had her curiosity satisfied and that will probably be that, personally I'd of congratulated her on it.. Let's face it, nothing can be done now it's done, or gained by showing distaste.

My grandad died at 100, merchant seaman all his life, probably longer service than imaginable, his tatt's never looked silly, large square rigger on his shoulder, female face on the other and an anchor on his inner forearm. Probably more but I can't remember them. He was a truly great man and I had the anchor copied onto my forearm, never regretted it and still love it. But... I hid it from my dad, he saw it a couple of years later and loved it, very anti- tatt he was.. I have not had the urge to have another.

Seajet

Visit site
Dylan,

I think the best answer would be one described by a Scottish comedian, sorry can't remember his name;

Father to 15 yr old " so, you want a tattoo do you ?

Mother, come in here and drop your drawers !

See that ?! In 20 years yours will look like that !

Still want one ? Didn't think so..."

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
when my youngest daughter was about the same age she came home with a tattoo on her shoulder it was in the form of Chinese writing and at the time looked half decent, she has just had her 30th birthday and so far has spent £1200 trying to have it removed and she will need at least another 4 sessions before it fades, the older she gets the more her skin stretches and the bigger the tattoo grows looks like an order for a carry out now

My wife can read Chinese; I sometimes get her to read people's tattoos; so far they've all been sensible (for a tattoo, that is), but I await with bated breath the day she says one reads "stupid foreigner" or worse! :D

Visit site
Over Easter the Winter family were out on the slug - very rare occasion.

We went ashore to a pub for lunch - even more uncommon.

My 19 year old gap year daughter was with us and kicked her shoes off. It was the first time I had seen - or even been aware of - the tattoo she now has on her ankle. It had remained hidden since last summer.

What would have been the best thing to say.... as opposed to what I did actually say.

It is incredibly ugly - the words bubble says "I love dad" and is done in biro and is therefore not permanent.... but the bug eyed dog is.

Got to laugh. We've all been there or similar. I was appalled to find my otherwise a bit shy and demure daughter had a belly button jewel. I didnt dare ask about other bits of her!

She probably got her tatoo when trollied with her mates, but you dont want to ask about that either.

sighmoon

Visit site
My wife can read Chinese; I sometimes get her to read people's tattoos; so far they've all been sensible (for a tattoo, that is), but I await with bated breath the day she says one reads "stupid foreigner" or worse! :D

My granny had some Chinese earings which... err... Anyway, she stopped wearing them when someone told her what they said.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I am sure that I have told this story on these fora before, but its apposite to the discussion so....

Years ago, one of my commanding officer's secretaries was helping me move some furniture in my office. She was wearing a short skirt and an even shorter top and when she bent over it revealed that she had a chinese symbol tattooed on her back and to the base of her spine. "I couldn't help noticing your tattoo," I said. "Does it mean anything special?" "Oh! Do you mean this one?" she said, pointing to the symbol as she bent over. It means "Enjoy!" I wish I hadn't asked....

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I designed my daughters first tattoo. At least it was nice, a Celtic butterfly. Told her what I thought of the others though. One discreet tattoo can be nice, but more no thanks.