What should I have said to my daughter when....

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Over Easter the Winter family were out on the slug - very rare occasion.

We went ashore to a pub for lunch - even more uncommon.

My 19 year old gap year daughter was with us and kicked her shoes off. It was the first time I had seen - or even been aware of - the tattoo she now has on her ankle. It had remained hidden since last summer.

What would have been the best thing to say.... as opposed to what I did actually say.

It is incredibly ugly - the words bubble says "I love dad" and is done in biro and is therefore not permanent.... but the bug eyed dog is.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
19?
What can you say?

Perhaps "Oh dear. I am really disappointed that you've done that." Play on the "letting me down" aspect.

Erm.... there wasn't any clanking when she walked?

[2574]

Visit site
Dylan, I expect say nothing is the best tack but I have to say that I just don't get the youngsters and their tatoo's and various pieces of facial metal adornments. We've all seen a natutally gorgeous girl who has pins through her lip and nose and in other places that I daren't imagine. I just don't get it. So you have my sympathy.

Cobra

Visit site
At the end of the day Dylan, she is 19 and is quite entitled to do what she wishes.

Having said that I would probably have made a comment along the lines of "If you had have said you wanted a tattoo, I would have paid for one to be done properly! I guess that the YTS trainee did yours?"

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
The trouble is, she's done it now and it's permanent. Any discouraging comments may have the opposite effect i.e. more tattoos! Whilst I don't like tattoos and piercings myself, kids are just following the fashion.

Giblets

Visit site
Best thing to say is "Wow, that's great. Where can I get one done just like it?"

You will then find lots of Google search results for "Tattoo Removals" on the comfuser. :D

Go on, Dylan, tell what you actually said. You know you want to!

Boomshanka

Visit site
I think I would have thought along the lines "well it could have been a lot worse and at least for 90% of the time in UK weather it will be covered by a sock"... but I would have probably not said much... it's her foot after all. Different matter when they go for "I love [name]" on the forearm or wrist:eek:

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
20 odd years ago when I was joint manager of a nightclub, a particularly gorgeous barmaid asked one night what we thought of her new tattoo (pulling her top off her shoulder to reveal a newly emblazoned butterfly). The others present stood in an awkward / surprised silence, but I in my wisdom (not) drew a comparison with a 'nice new Porsche that had just been keyed'... It took hours for the red hand-print to fade where she slapped me! :eek: She never held it against me however and a couple of years later admitted she wished she hadn't had it done. Probably more 'accepted' now, but personally I still think they're pretty 'tacky' so can understand your reaction. :-(

SimbaDog

Visit site
Over Easter the Winter family were out on the slug - very rare occasion.

We went ashore to a pub for lunch - even more uncommon.

My 19 year old gap year daughter was with us and kicked her shoes off. It was the first time I had seen - or even been aware of - the tattoo she now has on her ankle. It had remained hidden since last summer.

What would have been the best thing to say.... as opposed to what I did actually say.

It is incredibly ugly - the words bubble says "I love dad" and is done in biro and is therefore not permanent.... but the bug eyed dog is.

I don't care what you said about that, what I need to know is what you said to get your 19yr old daughter out on the boat! :)

Gwylan

Visit site
Don't get the idea myself, but that probably says more about me.

We had a deal with our sons that included the fact that tattoos and or piercings meant they were out of the will.
So far it has not been put to the test, as far as I know or can see.

colvic987

Visit site

Maybe you were the only one she hadn't told, so the 'i love dad'. was to soften you up a bit, but as said on earlier posts, she's 19 and an adult, I might of enquired why she wanted it, but personally not disagreed with her decision, hope your reaction didn't spoil the day for everyone.

In a couple of years time you might be able to give your opinions when she asks for advice on tattoo removal?

Last edited: